PDF XChange 4 crashes MS Office 2003

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ALDEWACS
User

PDF XChange 4 crashes MS Office 2003

Post by ALDEWACS »

I have Office 2003 installed, and have purchased and installed PDF Xchange 4 (User version) on the same PC.
After installing PDF Xchange 4, I can create a PDF from a Word or Excel document via the icon in the Word/Excel button bar, as expected.
After a few days (or uses?), using the PDF Xchange's 'Create PDF' button causes Word to crash, and I have to re-install PDF Xchange 4 to fix that again.
This has happened 4 or 5 times now, but I haven't (yet) seen the exact pattern or sequence of events that may be triggering this behaviour.
After re-installing PDF Xchange 4, it works again and I can create a PDF, till it fails again later and the cycle repeats.

PDF Xchange 4 is installed with support for MS Office 2003, NOT for Office 97 (as asked during installation).
Note I also have MS Office 97 on this PC, also Adobe Acrobat 6.0, and this PC also has the PDF Xchange 4 Developer SDK installed - in case it matters.

Any suggestions?

Al.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF XChange 4 crashes MS Office 2003

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Al,

Could you please quote the exact build number of our products that you are installing.
You can find this in the Printer's preferences (You can access those preferences by starting a File -> Print command in e.g. Word and then pressing the Properties button when our printer is selected ) -> About and there should be a Build Number written in the format: "Version 4.0 Build 167"

Regards,
Stefan
ALDEWACS
User

Post by ALDEWACS »

Stefan
It *IS* version 4.0 build 167.
Al
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi,

Can you specify what version of Windows you are using? Also do you have such problem when printing directly to PDF-XChange printer (via File->Print menu). And do you have installed any service packs or updates for Microsoft Office?
ALDEWACS
User

Post by ALDEWACS »

Using Windows XP SP2
MS Office 2003 is at SP3
It just failed again, a few minutes after I successfully use the 'Make PDF' button. Did not do anything unusual before the failure.
I tested - I *CAN* print to PDF Xchange 4 from Word when the 'make PDF' button fails.
Reinstalled PDF Xchange 4 - it's working again....

Al
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

I would suggest you fully uninstall - both the End user and developer versions and then install the developer SDK first (if still required) and then the end user version ...

I would also suggest that you ensure you have the latest download the of the SDK - as well as the End user version - possibly there is some incompatibility between older versions ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
ALDEWACS
User

Post by ALDEWACS »

John
I'll try that and keep an eye on the results.
I'll also uninstall and re-install OFFICE just to be "clean".
Al
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Al,

Please do let us know the outcome - I have 2 systems here - one Vista 32/Office 2003 and one Vista 64/Office 2007 - and both have no such issues with the latest public build ....

So would be interested to see if this is a problem using all the latest ..

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com