print to PDF

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kumar
User

print to PDF

Post by kumar »

When I print a webpage in Chrome using the builtin 'Save as PDF' or another 3rd party PDF printer tool I am able to select text (using Select Text function) in the resulting PDF file, but when I print using PDF-XChange printer I am not able to select text in the resulting PDF file. This is also happening with many word documents and other files. Is there any setting or configuration to make PDF-XChange printer print to PDF in such a way that the text in the resulting PDF file can be selected? If not, this is not good because I tested this with many 3rd party printer apps/tools and all of them create a PDF file where I can select the text in it except PDF-XChange printer. Can this be fixed? Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: print to PDF

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, kumar

Chrome by default prints images of the text and that is all we have to work with.
You say every other printer preserves the text, however all my tests when printing a pdf result in image based PDF, unless I "Save As" PDF which is a different process entirely.

I am keen to understand the process you use to get selectable text using a print out from Chrome to PDF. If others are doing it I expect we can too, or perhaps the other methods you use are not printing but converting to PDF?

Have you tried our HTML to PDF conversion as a comparison rather than printing?

PDF-XChange Standard has this as a Chrome extension and should address the issue of "image based print jobs from Chrome".

I am keen to better understand how you are generating your text selectable PDFs.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com