Open PDF in read only mode

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

otto4267
User

Open PDF in read only mode

Post by otto4267 »

Is there a method to have PDF Exchange Editor open the output from PDF Exchange Lite Printer in read-only mode?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Open PDF in read only mode

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello otto4267,

Unfortunately - no - it does not appear like there is a direct way to do this.
Why do you need to open the PDF file generated but have it in Read Only Mode?
Do you want to then open the same document in say a TeX editor to modify further? If you do - why not open it in TeX first (using custom parameters for Lite's Save settings), and then in the Editor? Or better yet - open it and make further modifications to that PDF file directly in the Editor.

Kind regards,
Stefan
otto4267
User

Post by otto4267 »

Would it be possible for PDF-XChange to implement this?

My company is an accounting firm, and we prepare our working papers on pdf.

We are a big firm, so to save on space, our PDF-Xchange printer lite settings are set to save the doucments to a temp file, which automatically gets cleared once we log off for the day.

The risk is that when the pdf is printed and opens in PDF-Xchange, it does not prompt the user to first 'save as' the file. The user can make changes to the document, but when they click save, the file keeps saving to the temp folder. This can be an issue if the user themselves did not remember to 'save as' first, because when they log on the next day their temp document will be gone.

If the document were to open in read only mode, it would prompt the user to first 'save as' the file if they make any changes and click save.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello otto4267,

I do not think that there are currently any plans to offer that.
And there is no way for Lite to make the file read only.
However - is there a real saving to making the PDF only at the end of the day rather than every time it is needed?
I can think of maybe some CPU time being saved if everything is processed at the end, however size wise - I can not really see much saving over the course of a day.

Kind regards,
Stefan