When Microsoft CMS is set for color management, B&W images are not displayed correctly after calibrating display color

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

When Microsoft CMS is set for color management, B&W images are not displayed correctly after calibrating display color

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

I found that document colors are not displayed correctly in PDF-XChange Editor when all three of the following conditions are met.

• "Microsoft CMS" is selected as the conversion engine in the color management settings.
  • The "Calibrate Display Color" on Windows has already been executed.
  • The PDF file must contain a raster image of a 1-bit black and white image.
  • Abnormal.png

Even if a document is displayed abnormally, it can be restored to normal by selecting "Little CMS" or deleting the profile created by calibration.

• Profile_Remove.png
The default conversion engine for new installations seems to be "Little CMS," but on the three PCs I have, all six settings in total were set to "Microsoft CMS" (I use both the installed and portable versions on one PC). I do not recall explicitly changing the setting to "Microsoft CMS" myself, but what happened to me might happen to other users. In that case, the anomaly occurs when the other two conditions are met, so I share the information as a tip. I am not at all familiar with color management, but I know that Acrobat displays the document correctly even when Microsoft CMS is selected, so perhaps there is an issue on the PDF-XChange Editor side.

This might be related to the following topic, but the above issue occurs in SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) environment.

In the verification video, the conversion method of PDF-XChange Editor's color management is changed to Microsoft CMS in advance, "Calibrate Display Color" of Windows is executed, and confirmed that the second page of the sample file is displayed abnormally. Also, delete the created profile to confirm that everything is restored to normal. See the video for more details.

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.5 build 368.0
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.1702
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL, HP All-in-One 22-c0xx
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: When Microsoft CMS is set for color management, B&W images are not displayed correctly after calibrating display col

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

Thank you for the report, I have created a formal ticket for this issue.

RT#6478: Microsoft CMS, B&W images incorrect after calibrating display color

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Re: When Microsoft CMS is set for color management, B&W images are not displayed correctly after calibrating display col

Post by rakunavi »

Thank you, Daniel, for creating the ticket!
Best regards
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com