Having a document in multiple languages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

leonhe
User

Having a document in multiple languages

Post by leonhe »

I need to distribute a PDF file in 3 different languages. I was wondering if it is possible to have a single base document where I can write the text in each field in the 3 languages, and then export the version of the document in the correct language when I need it.

I have read about layers, and have found that I can have the document change language automatically depending on the editor language. I am however looking to "export" the document in a desired language, and then only that language is available.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Having a document in multiple languages

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Just an idea:

You could think about making a document with one page per language.

Then create form-fields on the first page and after that, copying them to every other page in the document.
Note: You can select multiple fields at a time, by using the CTRL-key while you click every next field.
Make sure to paste them 'as fields' (available in the right-mouse-click-menu = sub-icon of the main Paste icon).
Copying fields make them duplicate to other pages when you fill them in.

When filling the form in whatever language, you can export the desired page/language to a new document, via the Organize-tab > Extract Pages, and making the choice if you like to keep fields as real fields (Copy) or converting them to text (Flatten).

I have made a very simple example showing the idea.

Kind regards.
Attachments
Multilanguage template.pdf
(9.5 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Having a document in multiple languages

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

This is actually a big part of the intent behind the concept of "layer" in PDF. As they would be more appropriately named "optional content groups" and you can specifically configure the layers to show/hide all content tied to them, based on the application language:
image.png
image.png (87 KiB) Viewed 147 times
You can learn more about Layers here: https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... ne_ed.html

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com