[Feature Request] Convert selection to stamp

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Sometimes I need to annote the pdfs with math equations or some thing else from another document, as a stamp so that it doesn't corrupt the original content.

Right now, I have to:
1. Selection the content;
2. "New stamp from selection"
3. Place the stamp
4. Delete the created stamp.

What I'm hoping?

1. "A copy of selection as stamp"
With "Edit all content" tool, I select some content in a document, run the requested "A copy of selection as stamp" command, a stamp is created at the same position of the content. So I can cut and copy in another document.
2. "Paste content as stamp"
Same as above, after selection, I can execute the "copy" command, and then "Paste content as stamp" in another document to create a stampe.

Hope reply, thanks any way.
MedBooster
User

Re: [Feature Request] Convert selection to stamp

Post by MedBooster »

Troy_Daniel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:06 am Sometimes I need to annote the pdfs with math equations or some thing else from another document, as a stamp so that it doesn't corrupt the original content.

Right now, I have to:
3. Place the stamp

What I'm hoping?

With "Edit all content" tool, I select some content in a document, run the requested "A copy of selection as stamp" command, a stamp is created at the same position of the content. So I can cut and copy in another document.
Same as above, after selection, I can execute the "copy" command, and then "Paste content as stamp" in another document to create a stampe.

Hello :)
What's your goal here though?
Is it just that you don't want to add it to your Stamp selection because you make these stamps so often that you don't want to deal with deleting them and arranging them in the stamp selection/library system?

Why not just take a screenshot and paste that?
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

Thanks for the suggestion - and better yet - you can use the Snapshot Tool provided by the Editor itself:

You can even use a higher resolution so when you paste content it does look smooth:
image.png
300 DPI should be enough for most printing needs as well as looking at a file for up to ~300-400% zoom on screen.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

MedBooster wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:37 am
Troy_Daniel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:06 am Sometimes I need to annote the pdfs with math equations or some thing else from another document, as a stamp so that it doesn't corrupt the original content.

Right now, I have to:
3. Place the stamp

What I'm hoping?

Is it just that you don't want to add it to your Stamp selection because you make these stamps so often that you don't want to deal with deleting them and arranging them in the stamp selection/library system?

Thanks for reply.

The difference between a "stamp" and a "screenshot" is that,
1. a stamp is a vector graph, after flattening it, all the content are editable. However, for a screeshot, it's a bitmap, not able to be further edited.
2. A stamp doesn't contains a background color, while a screenshot does. For me, I always change the pdf render background color, which might look werid to others.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Troy_Daniel,

You are correct - the snapshot tool is image based and will have limitations compared to vector objects.
I am afraid that I can not really think of a quicker way to achieve your original needs and keep the content vector.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:09 am Hello Troy_Daniel,

You are correct - the snapshot tool is image based and will have limitations compared to vector objects.
I am afraid that I can not really think of a quicker way to achieve your original needs and keep the content vector.

Kind regards,
Stefan
I think a command to wrap the following three should well match my desire:
1. Create a "unnamed" stamp from selection(s) temporarily;
2. Place the "unnamed" stamp.
3. Delete the "unnamed" stamp from the "stamp tool".

Is that idea cumbersome?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Troy_Daniel,

I will see to discuss your suggestion with a few colleagues - however I do not see this as likely to be implemented.

You say that you do need to create those stamps from selection as you need to ensure that e.g. your Math equations do not alter other text on the pages. Would the below alternative approach work:
If it is text - have you considered instead pasting it in a text box annotation object?
You can make the text box transparent and with no border - so only the text will be visible, and that text will be inside an annotation object - so it won't interfere with the base content text already present on that same page?

Kind regards,
Stefan
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Troy_Daniel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:07 am

Right now, I have to:
3. Place the stamp

What I'm hoping?

Thanks for reply.

1. a stamp is a vector graph, after flattening it, all the content are editable. However, for a screeshot, it's a bitmap, not able to be further edited.
2. A stamp doesn't contains a background color, while a screenshot does. For me, I always change the pdf render background color, which might look werid to others.
in what way is all content editable in a vector graph? Do you have an example from one of your equations?
I am sure your suggestion is useful, but I think most of us don't understand the usecase.
Is it that you are able to edit each line/element? Are these equations hand-written?
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

This is similar to what I was asking for in viewtopic.php?t=40177

The workaround:
  1. extract the page with the content for the new stamp to a new document
  2. crop the page to the area you want to make a stamp of
  3. stamps Pallette > Add New > Add New Stamp from Active Document...
  4. add a temporary stamp name
  5. place this stamp on another document
  6. delete the temporary stamp
All of this is built-in functionality in PDF-XChange and should be able to be a single tool that eliminates all the steps.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, Mathew

this is what I was going to suggest, just crop the content and make a stamp from that. Do be sure to remove the cropped content else it just gets hidden and your stamp will be wrong:
image.png
If the content is a vector, the result will be also.

I am kind of keen to see an example.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Mathew wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:19 pm

The workaround:
All of this is built-in functionality in PDF-XChange and should be able to be a single tool that eliminates all the steps.
Sorry for late reply.

It's exactly the same request. However, the first several steps can be reduced with the functions "New document/stamp from selection" in PXE. So the request can be reduced into three steps as described before. However, I hope them can be done in one step.
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

MedBooster wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:26 pm
Troy_Daniel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:07 am

Thanks for reply.

in what way is all content editable in a vector graph? Do you have an example from one of your equations?
I am sure your suggestion is useful, but I think most of us don't understand the usecase.
Is it that you are able to edit each line/element? Are these equations hand-written?
Thanks for advice. Here I create a sample pdf, the equation is created from the pdf content.
image(1).png
sample.pdf
(21.48 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, Troy_Daniel
It's exactly the same request. However, the first several steps can be reduced with the functions "New document/stamp from selection" in PXE. So the request can be reduced into three steps as described before. However, I hope them can be done in one step.
Now why didn't I think of that.... ;)

That makes it so simple I doubt very much the devs would turn that into a tool. Select text then make the stamp is already pretty simple. I will discuss it with the devs though, they may agree. Ultimately it will be at the development team leader's discretion, and it is already pretty easy to do.

Lets see what he says.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

Troy_Daniel wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:35 pm However, the first several steps can be reduced with the functions "New document/stamp from selection" in PXE. So the request can be reduced into three steps as described before. However, I hope them can be done in one step.
That works in some cases except that if the selection area has any level of complexity (ie linework that extends through the selection): Then it's very difficult to just grab an area for the stamp - you need to crop the page to the area needed. PXE is almost there though. Example attached.
Plan.pdf
(403.53 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Troy_Daniel wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:35 pm
Mathew wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:19 pm

The workaround:
Sorry for late reply.

This seems like a reasonable-enough suggestion. I am always in favor of compressing functional complexity and reducing keystrokes. We shouldn't always have to be stringing different functions together to get a procedural result and I would hope it would not be too difficult for the devs to automate a little of that for us.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:32 pm Hi, Mathew

this is what I was going to suggest, just crop the content and make a stamp from that. Do be sure to remove the cropped content else it just gets hidden and your stamp will be wrong:

image.png

If the content is a vector, the result will be also.

I am kind of keen to see an example.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Hi, Paul. One cautionary addition. Users should be reminded that your procedure is slightly destructive in that cropping and checking the delete content, etc. boxes is a bit final. So, if the user is cropping as you suggest on a document page, they need to remember that content, etc., will be lost if the user saves the document after cropping to create this faux-stamp. Some less experienced users might miss this point.

Therefore, the user should be advised to create a duplicate page for the purpose of creating this faux-stamp that can be deleted later. At least, there should be a 'health warning' about cropping pages to create these faux-stamps.

But this is a couple of more steps and tends to underline for me the validity of OP's suggestion for combining several functional steps into one nice new function. I hope the devs can give this favorable consideration.
All best,

FringePhil
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Mathew wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:39 pm
Troy_Daniel wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:35 pm However, the first several steps can be reduced with the functions "New document/stamp from selection" in PXE. So the request can be reduced into three steps as described before. However, I hope them can be done in one step.
That works in some cases except that if the selection area has any level of complexity (ie linework that extends through the selection): Then it's very difficult to just grab an area for the stamp - you need to crop the page to the area needed. PXE is almost there though. Example attached.Plan.pdf
"Create a new document and then crop" is definite the solution if you just want "scoped view" of content.
And be optimistic, there is a command "Convert selection to stamp", your steps can be:
[*] Extract the page, which contains the desired content;
[*] Crop to the desired area
[*] Select all
[*] Convert selection to stamp
[*] Cut and paste the stamp

I think these steps are reasonable, if the developers don't plan to add a "regional stamp".
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:55 pm Hi, Troy_Daniel
Now why didn't I think of that.... ;)

That makes it so simple I doubt very much the devs would turn that into a tool. Select text then make the stamp is already pretty simple. I will discuss it with the devs though, they may agree. Ultimately it will be at the development team leader's discretion, and it is already pretty easy to do.

Lets see what he says.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Hope to hear good news.

Best regrads.
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Troy_Daniel wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:39 pm ...

"Create a new document and then crop" is definite the solution if you just want "scoped view" of content.
And be optimistic, there is a command "Convert selection to stamp", your steps can be:
[*] Extract the page, which contains the desired content;
[*] Crop to the desired area
[*] Select all
[*] Convert selection to stamp
[*] Cut and paste the stamp

I think these steps are reasonable, if the developers don't plan to add a "regional stamp".
I think this is slightly more complex than necessary. Why not simply have a "command" or function that requires only two steps:

[+] Capture the desired area
[+] Place and drop the content of that capture?

Everything else should be done by the soflware "behind the curtain."
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

Good news. While the "Feature Request" was denied, this is because it already exists!!!!

Check this:
StampFromSelection.gif
Note that you MUST use the "Snapshot Tool". Other selection tools will not respect the bounding box and won't crop the content outside the selection.

The "Snapshot" tool will copy the content as it is on the page, images, lines, text etc without attention to those object's boundaries. This is why it is failing with other tools. The "Snapshot Tool" is your friend here yet again!

There is a bug that we will fix, the cropped content is not removed from the stamp, just hidden. It should be removed. We will fix that. RT#6482: Editor :: Create Stamp from Selection should crop content

From what I am seeing here this is exactly what you asked for.

And as a teaser, look at it in Version 10. We added the ability to edit paths in "base content". Apply your stamp, flatten it and check this out:
EditPath.gif
It not only is vector based, it is highly editable!

Enjoy.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:35 pm...

And as a teaser, look at it out in Version 10. We added the ability to edit paths in "base content". Apply your stamp, flatten it and check this out:

EditPath.gif

The crucial part of this is that it is vector-based! And that is good news. How were we to know that you would fix it so fast?
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, PHK
PHK wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:58 pm The crucial part of this is that it is vector-based!
As long as the original content is, then yes. The content will be used "as is", images will remain images, shapes will remain shapes, etc.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:35 pm Hi guys,

Good news. While the "Feature Request" was denied, this is because it already exists!!!!

Check this:

StampFromSelection.gif

Note that you MUST use the "Snapshot Tool". Other selection tools will not respect the bounding box and won't crop the content outside the selection.

The "Snapshot" tool will copy the content as it is on the page, images, lines, text etc without attention to those object's boundaries. This is why it is failing with other tools. The "Snapshot Tool" is your friend here yet again!

There is a bug that we will fix, the cropped content is not removed from the stamp, just hidden. It should be removed. We will fix that. RT#6482: Editor :: Create Stamp from Selection should crop content

From what I am seeing here this is exactly what you asked for.

And as a teaser, look at it in Version 10. We added the ability to edit paths in "base content". Apply your stamp, flatten it and check this out:

EditPath.gif

Enjoy.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Great news! It's very fantastic! Hope to see V10 soon.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Troy_Daniel,

And V10 is now out! Please do give it a try!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:25 pm Hello Troy_Daniel,

And V10 is now out! Please do give it a try!

Kind regards,
Stefan
I've given it a try. However, disappointed to find that, it's the function to create a "regional stamp", different from the desired function, "paste as stamp"/"Make a stamp copy from selection". :(
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, Troy_Daniel

sorry - I am not entirely sure I understand the desired out come or the distinction you are drawing. So one can make a stamp from a "Snapshot Tool" selection, the stamp is vector based if the original was and it gets cropped to the selection.

What is it that you mean when you say "regional stamp" and how does it differ from your desired result described as "paste as stamp"/"Make a stamp copy from selection". As far as I can tell it does make a stamp, and it is not just pasting copied content.

Sorry if I am being obtuse but I do not understand the distinction you are drawing.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp

BTW: The function to create a stamp from a Snapshot Tool selection was in Version 9, what I mentioned in new in Version 10 is the ability to edit paths.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I ran a test with PDF-XChange Editor build 370, by using the "Sample.pdf" here above, the one with the equation.

When you flatten the annotated equation (present as a stamp in that "Sample.pdf"), it can be edited, that is what Troy_Daniel wants.

Now following the logic of Paul O'Rorke, I make a snapshot of the base content equation (the one at the bottom of the page), using the Snapshot tool (of PDF-XChange Editor itself of course), and then paste it and flatten it. Now, it should be editable, but unfortunately it is NOT. It is nothing more than an image. What am I doing wrong?

Regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

I see, that would be because the default use of the snapshot tool is to take a picture of the area, so it does exactly that, takes a snapshot of the selected space. If you want to convert it to separate content items, you will need to use the "create stamp from..." function in conjunction with it, to pull the real content items, instead of just getting that picture.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:57 pm Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

I see, that would be because the default use of the snapshot tool is to take a picture of the area, so it does exactly that, takes a snapshot of the selected space. If you want to convert it to separate content items, you will need to use the "create stamp from..." function in conjunction with it, to pull the real content items, instead of just getting that picture.

Kind regards,
In other words, it is Bitmap versus Vector Content?
All best,

FringePhil
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

PHK wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:16 pm In other words, it is Bitmap versus Vector Content?
Indeed, and that leads us back to the start of this thread, a feature request for having the possibility to copy base-content and paste it like a vector-Stamp elsewhere, without having to pass via the creation of a new stamp.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, PHK

yes, the default behavior of the Snapshot Tool is to take a rasterized image. So there are two key things that need to have attention paid to:
  • You MUST use the Snapshot Tool in order to get the selection cropped.
  • You MUST use the "create stamp from..." function to keep the content editable
does that help?

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, all,

I think Willy you posted a comment here that was deleted? I saw someone comment that the request was to be able to copy/paste the cropped vectors without making a stamp.

That is possible, we can make an option for the snapshot tool to copy the vectors so that a simple paste operation pasts the cropped vector objects. The problem is that what is copied will only be usable in a PDF. The Snapshot Tool rasterizes the content to make an image that can be pasted an any number of different applications. If we tell the Snapshot tool to copy (and crop) vector objects the contents copied to the Windows clipboard will only be useable in a PDF.

I managed to extract agreement from the development team leader to look into it, a ticket has been raised, however be aware that it is a bit of a "can of worms" that could break existing functionality and some thought will have to go into it's design.

RT#6483: Feature Request :: Editor :: Snapshot Tool option to copy vector based content. is the ticket, it is considered low priority and long term, but it is officially going to be considered.

I hope that helps

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:42 pm ...
Indeed, and that leads us back to the start of this thread, a feature request for having the possibility to copy base-content and paste it like a vector-Stamp elsewhere, without having to pass via the creation of a new stamp.
I agree with your assessment that OP's request was to have this functionality without having to create new stamps. I also support the request for that functionality. But being able to do it by using Stamps for vector-based content is better than nothing. One downside of Stamps that we are not talking about too much is that these Stamps are "there" until you take the action of deleting them, leading to Stamp Bloat.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

P. S. It should be noted that the subject line for this thread is "Convert selection to stamp" and, narrowly speaking, that is now possible. On the other hand, much of the thread discussion relates to copying selected vector-based content for insertion in a document elsewhere without creating stamps which is obviously a more difficult challenge that may or may not be possible.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

PHK wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:21 pm copying selected vector-based content for insertion in a document elsewhere without creating stamps

Indeed it is more than that it is "copying selected vector-based content for insertion in a document elsewhere without creating stamps while also cropping objects that cross the selection boundary".

You are correct. It is not trivial.

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:57 pm Hi, Troy_Daniel

sorry - I am not entirely sure I understand the desired out come or the distinction you are drawing. ...

What is it that you mean when you say "regional stamp" and how does it differ from your desired result described as "paste as stamp"/"Make a stamp copy from selection". As far as I can tell it does make a stamp, and it is not just pasting copied content.

After rethinking the post title, the original post title is unclear, I think it should be change into: Make vector-based stamp annotation without creating stamp(s) in Stamp Tool, it might be more explanatory.

My final goal for this "feature request" is, "place a stamp annotation on the document", meeting the requirement:
1. The content is already in the document. After selecting it/them with the "edit all content" tool, I can "copy", and "paste as stamp [annotation]";
2. The final goal can now be achieved with sever steps: "Select → New stamp from selection → Place the stamp → Delete the stamp from the Stamp Tool". The final step is needed because the stamp is used only ONCE.

However, for requirement 2, theses steps can be used quite often, much too key strockes and mouse clicks, so I hope to simply it into three steps:
1. Select
2, Copy(Ctrl+C)
2. Paste as stamp without creating stamp in the Stamp Tool, (thks for @PHK)
Or two steps:
1. Select
2. Make a stamp copy/make a stamp annotation/Convert to stamp

I hope I explain the idea clear this time.
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

If something can be done along these lines, I would hope that you could go for Troy-Daniel's two-step suggestion below.
Troy_Daniel wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:12 am ...Or two steps:
1. Select
But I would stay away from the whole "stamp" notion and figure out a way to have just the selected vector-based content stored in some sort of flash memory, sort of like Windows Clipboard but without the bitmap-only limitation.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello PHK,

Maybe the confusion here is that you go though a "Snapshot" tool - which is mostly associated with raster/bitmap final result - and indeed that is what is placed in the clipboard, however it is this same tool that you can use as a "selector with anything outside of the selected box cut off" - that you can use to effectively select vector content as well.

@y Troy_Daniel - thanks for the clarification - indeed that makes the request clearer - however given that the "snapshot" tool does provide a viable solution (albeit with an extra step or two) to achieve the desired final result - I do not think that our devs are looking at implementing your request as is for the time being!

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:45 am ...however it is this same tool that you can use as a "selector with anything outside of the selected box cut off" - that you can use to effectively select vector content as well...
I am not sure exactly what the above means, but does it not imply that Troy_Daniel (and the rest of us) can simply use the Snapshot tool to achieve what he desires?
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello PHK,

You can use the snapshot tool for marking an area of a page - that you can later create a stamp from.
However Troy_Daniel asks to be able to "copy" that selection so that he can paste it in another file without going through the stamp process. There are other ways to select content - however those will not "trim" any vector content that e.g. spans the selection.
However as I said above - it is not likely that we will be implementing such a feature anytime soon!

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Sorry to be so dense on this but if the user selects an area with the Snapshot tool, it gets saved to the Windows Clipboard, no? If the user opens another document they can paste that into that new destination from Clipboard without using Stamps, no?
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Troy_Daniel wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:12 am
The final goal can now be achieved with sever steps: "Select → New stamp from selection → Place the stamp → Delete the stamp from the Stamp Tool". The final step is needed because the stamp is used only ONCE.

Now I am confused. Should the last step her not be "Remove Stamp"? I thought the whole point was to avoid making a stamp in the collection?

If I understand correctly the request is for:

1. Select content with the Snapshot Tool
2. Paste cropped non-rasterized content as stamp.

Nothing else. I do not believe we need to actually do the "Create stamp from" part if this is happening programmatically and does not need a stamp in the Stamps Palette. I will need confirmation, but I expect it should be possible to just place the content "as a stamp" like we already do with the Insert Images feature. With that one can insert an image and it can be applied as a stamp.

I will need confirmation, and as Stefan says, this ticket has been set to low priority, so while it should happen it is not going to happen right away.

Does that fit the expectations?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, guys,
PHK wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:59 pm Sorry to be so dense on this but if the user selects an area with the Snapshot tool, it gets saved to the Windows Clipboard, no? If the user opens another document they can paste that into that new destination from Clipboard without using Stamps, no?
Not quite, it won't be pasted as a vector, it will get rasterized.

Pasting as a stamp can be done and will be done. A second ticket has been raised, RT#6485: Feature Request :: Editor :: Paste Base content as stamp

This one is to add the ability to paste base content as a stamp. This already happens when the contents of the clipboard is an image, we will add an "as stamp" to the paste when the clipboard contains base content.

So rather than the one original tool requested, you will get two; one is the option to make a stamp out of a Snapshot Tool selection, the other is to paste base content as a stamp.

The latter will be agnostic of what tool was used to copy. If you drag a selection using the "Snapshot Tool" the content in the clipboard will be cropped and so too the paste, use another selection tool, like for example the "Edit Objects Tool" and the copied contents will not be cropped nor the pasted content. There will still be a "paste as stamp" option regardless of how the base content was copied into the clipboard.

I do believe this will give the originally requested copy/paste functionality as well as the option to add it to the Stamps Palette.

enjoy

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Excellent, Paul. The Community looks forward to it!
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Troy_Daniel
User

Post by Troy_Daniel »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:28 pm
.... A second ticket has been raised, RT#6485: Feature Request :: Editor :: Paste Base content as stamp
It's what exactly I'm expecting. :D :lol:

Best regards,

Troy Daniel
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

Oh wow YES. I love the new "stamp from selection" tool.
Thank you!
😍
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin