javascript: No undo for annotations added with doc.addAnnot()

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Mathew
User

javascript: No undo for annotations added with doc.addAnnot()

Post by Mathew »

PDF-XChange doesn't add an item to the undo list when annotations are added through javascript. To reproduce, run this in console with a single page pdf open:

Code: Select all

this.addAnnot( { type:"FreeText", contents:"You can't undo me!", page:0} );
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: javascript: No undo for annotations added with doc.addAnnot()

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mathew,
Yes, annotations added by a script cannot be undone. This behaviour is by design and aims to prevent flooding the undo list with operations that the user can be unaware of.
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

Understood. But it's a bit inconsistent because modifying annotations does have an undo.

Could I request a feature to be able to set a flag within javascript for when undos are tracked as a single "undo", such as:

Code: Select all

beginUndo();
// add an annotation
endUndo()
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Mathew

Thank you for the suggestion, If there was a way to classify the entire script as a single "undo step" that would certainly be a viable solution. I will forward this idea to the Devs to see what can be done in that respect, but I cannot make any promises at this time.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Yes, Mathew, you are right about the inconsistency.
We should exclude annotation modification from the undo list as well, when done from script.
We will discuss your proposed feature and let you know. However, it is unlikely to be included in the upcoming release of the Editor because lack of time.
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

Oh No! please don't exclude annotation modification done by a script. That could be very aggravating, especially if the script did something I don't want it to do.

I think excluding script actions from the undo list is very counterintuitive. If I run a script that makes changes on a document, if the undo ignores it, I won't be able to save the changes (PDF-XChange will act like nothing has changed). I have to make a manual change before it even un-greys the save button.

Case in point: I made a tool to draw hatch patterns on shapes, but the new pattern does not show up as an undo option. You can undo everything, and still the hatch pattern is there.

Generally, people expect undo to return the document to the state it was before the last operation they did. The current implementation does not do that.
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

I've been thinking about this: One of the stellar aspects of PDF-XChange is the robust JavaScript support (besides the great tech support, that we don't have to use a subscription, the UI, all the great functionality...) It allows me to make scripts when there's something repetitive or inconvenient and not rely on it being part of the software.

I agree that it is a mess when all the individual actions a script may do become individual undo items, so making it default to not record undo's during scripts feels like a simple workaround: However, allowing a script to run and make changes to a pdf without any evidence of those changes seems like both a security issue and counterintuitive for a user.

Ideal in my mind would be the following:
  • By default, actions that change the document are recorded in the script individually.
  • If a user doesn't like the mess this causes, there could be a preference option to not record scripted changes to undo.
  • Scripts can invoke a queuing mechanism such as begin/endUndoQueue() and a way to either discard that queue or save it (ie if a script makes temporary changes to a document it would be good to be able to discard them along with the temporary change - see 'preview' in the hatch script listed below)
I understand it's a big ask, as I have no idea how that could really be implemented and not break scripts that go to other PDF applications. I think it would add hugely to the JavaScript power in PDF-XChange, because scripts could work like built-in functionality.

An example of a script that adds multiple undo steps from one script run is my mirror annotations tool: viewtopic.php?t=39917

An example of a script that makes changes to the document that are invisible to undo is my hatch tool: viewtopic.php?t=40329
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

BTW the functionality I'm thinking of is similar to php's ob_start() ob_end_flush() ob_end_clean() for output buffering: https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ob-start.php
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Mathew wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:53 am I think excluding script actions from the undo list is very counterintuitive. If I run a script that makes changes on a document, if the undo ignores it, I won't be able to save the changes (PDF-XChange will act like nothing has changed). I have to make a manual change before it even un-greys the save button.
No, the document we be marked as modified anyways.

I agree with you that this is a good idea to have a way to enable logging script operations in the undo list. I just discussed it with the team and it was generally welcome.