Comments

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

user12358
User

Comments

Post by user12358 »

Hi,

I wanted to know if there´s some way to convert text into a comment. I have several blocks of text that I can only select by clicking "Edit" in the "Home" window and I want to convert them into comments, so I can have these in the comments list.
Thank you!

BR
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Comments

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello user12358,

There is no "quick and easy" way I am afraid.
You will need to use the Edit button, cut or copy the text, then select e.g. the Typewriter or Text Box comment tools, and place the text into the annotation object.

Annotations actually carry more information than base content text - so it's possible to "flatten" an annotation, but there's no mechanism to "unflatten it".

Kind regards,
Stefan
user12358
User

Post by user12358 »

And if we are talking about lines instead of text? Do I have to draw everything again?
Because I am working on a diagram and when I copy text and lines I cannot paste everything in a text box like you mentioned.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello user12358,

Is there a particular reason you want to make a line from base content to annotation?
You should not need to make lines from base content to annotations - you will likely at most need to move those lines - so you can do them while the "Edit" (base content) tool is active.

Kind regards,
Stefan
user12358
User

Post by user12358 »

Yes, to ease tracking of the progress. If these are annotations then they appear in the comments list so it is easier for colleagues to check changes.
So, is there a way?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello user12358,

I am afraid that no - you can not convert vector shapes that are base content to annotations either, sorry.
You will need to create new annotations over the existing lines, and then remove the base content ones.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I am not sure I understand OP's needs here but I am wondering if using Layers might help.

That is, suppose the user creates a layer and places the created comments on that layer. They could then hide/unhide that layer as appropriate. Also, further layers could be created for further generations of comments or sources of comments.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello PHK,

Thanks for your suggestion. However I think the OPs idea was that comments are easier to edit for them than base content, and that's why they wanted to convert something already existing on a page from base content to annotation.
It was not about hiding/showing some content selectively.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

user12358 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:00 pm Yes, to ease tracking of the progress. If these are annotations then they appear in the comments list so it is easier for colleagues to check changes.
So, is there a way?
If the annotations are on dedicated layers, progress can be tracked through the layers and colleagues can check changes. It is not only about hiding layers.
All best,

FringePhil
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:56 pm I am afraid that no - you can not convert vector shapes that are base content to annotations either, sorry.
I believe that there is a way to do that... However, I'm hesitant to write about it because this is such an amazing killer feature of PDF-XChange Editor that I'd rather not have the Dark Side™ know about it.

OK, I shall write it down very small and obfuscated.

You can exrpot any sicteelon, or pega, or erntie PDF deuoncmt to PoreowPint or Wrod. Three, you can seelct weethavr you wnat, and then ptsae it back into a PDF via rgiht-ccilk as Metalife, which will mkae it itno a cenommt.

To anyone who figures it out: Enjoy, and keep it to yourself & friends.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Comments

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

He he - this
To anyone who figures it out: Enjoy, and keep it to yourself & friends.
had me thinking of "The Ring" - "Keep it secret, keep it safe!"

:)

And it is a shame this is specific to shapes, because if you were looking to quickly and easily turn base text into comments then the option in the preferences to "Copy encircled text into pop-ups of Drawing comments" and "Copy selected text into pop-ups of newly created Text Markup comments" can make it easy to add comments with the content.
image.png
Select the text and it makes a comment of the selected text. You could even make the comment invisible with no fill or border:
CopyTextToComments.gif
It doesn't work for "shapes" however.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

David.P wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:24 pm ...
You can exrpot any sicteelon, or pega, or erntie PDF deuoncmt to PoreowPint or Wrod. Three, you can seelct weethavr you wnat, and then ptsae it back into a PDF via rgiht-ccilk as Metalife, which will mkae it itno a cenommt....
Well, I suppose that's plain enough but what are these "PowerPoint" and "Word" apps?
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Comments

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com