"Fit Box by Text Content" with stylus might cause unintentional enlargement  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

"Fit Box by Text Content" with stylus might cause unintentional enlargement

Post by rakunavi »

=== UPDATE ===================================================================
The issue reported below has been resolved in Ver 10.0.0 build 370.
I appreciate all the hard work and efforts of the support and development team.
==============================================================================

Hello all,

This report is about a issue that occurs only when operating with stylus. When operated with mouse or touch, everything works fine.

There are three types of comments where text can be entered: typewriter, text box, and callout. The menu that is displayed by long-tapping with the stylus when these comments are selected (here called Type A) and the menu that is displayed by long-tapping with the stylus when the text entry cursor is blinking in the comment (here called Type B) differ in their contents. The menu items are different. To put it simply, the A-type menu has a "Fit Box by Text Content". Examples of each are shown below as animated GIFs.

• (Type A) Menu displayed by long-tapping with stylus during comment selection
    (Type A) Menu displayed by long-tapping with stylus during comment selection

(Type B) Menu displayed by long-tapping with stylus while text input cursor is blinking
    (Type B) Menu displayed by long-tapping with stylus while text input cursor is blinking
However, if you long-tap the comment with the stylus immediately after resizing or moving the comment, the Type A menu will appear, even though the text input cursor is blinking within the comment (here called Type C). Two different ways of displaying this type of menu are shown below in animated GIFs.

• (Type C-1) If you long-tap a comment with stylus immediately after changing the size of the comment
    (Type C-1) If you long-tap a comment with stylus immediately after changing the size of the comment

(Type C-2) If you long-tap the comment with stylus immediately after changing the comment position
    (Type C-2) If you long-tap the comment with stylus immediately after changing the comment position

Since this situation cannot be reproduced by mouse or touch operation, it seems to be an unexpected situation that the A-type menu is displayed when the text input cursor is blinking.

If you execute "Fit Box by Text Content" in Type C menu and then tap an appropriate position outside the comment frame with the stylus, the comment becomes huge. If the input cursor is placed inside the comment, it temporarily returns to its original size, but if the comment is moved, it becomes huge again. This is what I want to describe in this report.

• If you execute "Fit Box by Text Content" in the Type C menu, the comment will become temporarily huge.
    If you execute "Fit Box by Text Content" in the Type C menu, the comment will become temporarily huge.
Note that the issue occurs when the comment size is larger than the text size, as in the animated GIF example above.

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.5 build 368.0
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.1702
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL with Lenovo Digital Pen (Wacom AES)
Last edited by rakunavi on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: "Fit Box by Text Content" with stylus might cause unintentional enlargement

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

Thank you for the detailed report here. I have so far been unable to reproduce any of these issues here on our Surface tablet device with the official MS stylus. While I do not want to push off the problem, I expect that this is caused by how the Lenovo stylus is translating the long press, from your Gif's it seems to consider it a "Leftclick, hold, rightclick" instead of properly only making it a "rightclick.

1. Do you see a similar issue in any other menu apps, for example the "good morning" page in MS Word offers a group of templates to choose from, left clicking on them will open a dialog and right clicking will open a context menu, If you left click/hold and then right click, it still opens the left click dialog. This could be a good way to test if the issue is related to the stylus's selection method.
2. Alternatively, Do you happen to have any other styluses available (perhaps old ones you used in the past) to see if this issue is reproducible with those other devices?

Regardless of the outcome there, I have also forwarded this directly to Vasyl, who will be looking into this in the coming weeks. Hopefully we can find a way to reproduce it here and get to work on a solution, but it is possible that our hands may be tied by your stylus' own handling.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Daniel, Thank you for taking the time to look into this.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:38 pm 1. Do you see a similar issue in any other menu apps, for example the "good morning" page in MS Word offers a group of templates to choose from, left clicking on them will open a dialog and right clicking will open a context menu, If you left click/hold and then right click, it still opens the left click dialog. This could be a good way to test if the issue is related to the stylus's selection method.
No issues have occurred with other applications. Even in PDF-XChange Editor, as shown above, if you long-tap in the usual way, the context menu appropriate for the operation at that time will be displayed. The issue only occurs with long taps immediately after resizing or moving.

Also, I tried the method you suggested. After the long-tap on the "good morning" page in MS Word, a context menu appeared, and I tapped "Create". Please refer to the following animated GIF.

• Word.gif
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:38 pm 2. Alternatively, Do you happen to have any other styluses available (perhaps old ones you used in the past) to see if this issue is reproducible with those other devices?
I have confirmed in advance that there is no possibility of stylus failure. I have a total of three styluses of the exact same model number, all of which give the same results. I have only one Windows machine with stylus at hand, so please forgive me if the verification is insufficient. I will report back when I have a chance to try it on another PC environment.

Please give my best regards to Vasyl.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: "Fit Box by Text Content" with stylus might cause unintentional enlargement  SOLVED

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi rakunavi.

Firstly, thanks for your well-detailed (as always) report. We reproduced the issue and will fix it in the new upcoming build.

Best regards,
Vasyl.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Vasyl,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this in detail.
I am relieved to share my situation with you.
I'm looking forward to future updates.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

"Fit Box by Text Content" with stylus might cause unintentional enlargement

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com