command line filename parameter is truncated on the first occurrence of a with comma ','

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

es42
User

command line filename parameter is truncated on the first occurrence of a with comma ','

Post by es42 »

I have the effect that a command line filename parameter is truncated on the first occurrence of a with comma ','

See the example:
.\PDFXTools.exe /RunTool "{BCA634B4-5D12-47FD-B33CB48EE77AE5E5}" /Output:folder=\"C:\mytest\";filename=\"d{230525}f{IE}s{test}c{[aaa¦Ads}p{2023-05}i{now coma, and }.pdf\"

The output file is: d{230525}f{IE}s{test}c{[aaa¦Ads}p{2023-05}i{now coma.pdf

Can you help?

Thanks
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: command line filename parameter is truncated on the first occurrence of a with comma ','

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, es42

thanks for the report. Before we go any further with this, are you running the current version of PDF-Tools? 9.5.368.0 is current and Help About will tell you what you have now.

If it is older than 9.5.368.0, please try Help then Check for Updates to get current and let us know if the issue persists in 9.5.368.0?

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
es42
User

Re: command line filename parameter is truncated on the first occurrence of a with comma ','

Post by es42 »

Version : 9.5, build 368.0
(Apr 6 2023; 10:07:12)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, es42

thanks for that. Can we get yo to export your tool and send it to us along with the PDF that you are searching? Use support@pdf-xchange.com if the files are sensitive and we will keep them confidential.

please and thanks

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Hi,
no problem, I just made a scan of something that is not sensitive.
In addition to make it easier to reproduce I used a standard tool ("pdft.tool.scanToPDF").

.\PDFXTools.exe /RunTool "pdft.tool.scanToPDF" /Output:folder=\"C:\Temp\";filename=\"d{230525}f{IE}s{test}c{[aaa¦Ads}p{2023-05}i{now coma, and }.pdf\"

Attached you have the generated file and the tool.
PDF-Tools Exchange.zip
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Windows Info:
Édition Windows 11 Famille
Version 22H2
Build du système d’exploitation 22621.1778
es42
User

Post by es42 »

I made an additional test after the re-init of the tool pdft.tool.scanToPDF, same result.

.\PDFXTools.exe /RunTool "pdft.tool.scanToPDF" /Output:folder=\"C:\Temp\";filename=\"d{230525}f{IE}s{test}c{[aaa¦Ads}p{2023-05}i{now coma2, and }.pdf\"

Generated file:
d{230525}f{IE}s{test}c{[aaa¦Ads}p{2023-05}i{now coma2.pdf
Vladimir G - Tracker Dev
User

Post by Vladimir G - Tracker Dev »

Hi, es42

I have reproduced the issue, it will be fixed in the nearest build.

Best regards,
Vladimir Goshko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Nice, but as this is making my application as unusable, can you give an indication of when we will have the version with this issue fixed?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello es42,

If all goes well - the new build (actually new V10) should be out in the next 2-3 weeks.

Kind regards,
Stefan
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Hi, I just tested with the Version : 10.0.0, build 370 (Jun 14 2023; 13:34:42)

When I use the command line seems to work.
But when I invoke it from a VisualC# application it acts on the same way as the previous version.

Code snippets:

Process pdfTool = new Process();
pdfTool.StartInfo.FileName = parentEdm.m_configPdfToolsExe;

pdfTool.StartInfo.Arguments ="/RunTool \"pdft.tool.scanToPDF\" /Output:folder=\"C:\\kES42\\800_projects\\150_EDM\\edm_svn\\trunk\\100_edm\\template\";filename=\"d{230616}f{IE}s{template}i{empty,123}.pdf\";showfiles=no";
pdfTool.Start();
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hello es42,

Yes, that is as it should be, it is against the terms of our end user product licensing to use an end user product command line call from custom application, end user products cannot be used in this manner as an SDK replacement.

PDF-Tools Command line calls are meant to be used command line only.

To achieve what you want,:

1) if your application is to both scan and convert to PDF, this can be done with the Editor SDK

2) if you grab the image from the scanner yourself, the CORE API SDK would be enough to convert the image to PDF.

Hope that helps.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Hi,
on this way in my opinion I'm running like the command line, can you tell me where it is mentioned:
"...hat is as it should be, it is against the terms of our end user product licensing"

Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello es42,

Section two of the EULA for our end user products:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXLicense.pdf

reads:

2. GRANT OF LICENSE AND VOLUME LICENSES: PDF-XChange Co grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, restricted right to use the software for your own personal, commercial or business uses – provided you and/or your business are end users, and not software developers or distributors to end users – subject to the terms of this license agreement. This license does not allow the accessing of the API of the software –even if you have a developer’s kit – this is an END USER version ONLY of the software – it is not a developer software tool. Should you wish to utilise a version of this product linking to or from within another software application (directly or indirectly) – you must purchase and license a software development kit (SDK) that is intended specifically for this purpose. These SDKs are available from PDF-XChange Co Ltd on a limited and case-by-case basis, please email sales@pdf-xchange.com for further information on SDK licensing.

Kind regards,
Stefan
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Hi,
what is a Software application?
If we look strict it would not be allowed to call via a batch file, correct?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello es42,

I see you did e-mail us with more details about what you need to do! I've passed this to Chris who handles all SDK enquiries and he will get back to you through e-mail a bit later!

Kind regards,
Stefan
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Thanks, but can you answer to the previous question?

"Hi,
"
revida
User

Post by revida »

the filename parameter in your command line is being truncated at the first occurrence of a comma (','). To resolve this issue, you can try enclosing the entire filename parameter in double quotation marks (") like this:

.\PDFXTools.exe /RunTool "{BCA634B4-5D12-47FD-B33CB48EE77AE5E5}" /Output:folder="C:\mytest";filename="d{230525}f{IE}s{test}c{[aaa¦Ads}p{2023-05}i{now coma, and }.pdf"

By using double quotation marks, the entire filename parameter should be treated as a single entity, allowing the comma within it to be recognized correctly.

thanks and regards
revida marcos
[url]https://www.multispanindia.com[/url]
Last edited by revida on Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
revida marcos
[img]https://www.multispanindia.com/assets/img/multispan-logo.png[/img]
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Dear revida,

with the version 10 from command line works fine, my open point is the interpretation of the Section two of the EULA for our end user products:
"2. GRANT OF LICENSE AND VOLUME LICENSES: PDF-XChange Co grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, restricted right to use the software for your own personal, commercial or business uses – provided you and/or your business are end users, and not software developers or distributors to end users – subject to the terms of this license agreement. This license does not allow the accessing of the API of the software –even if you have a developer’s kit – this is an END USER version ONLY of the software – it is not a developer software tool. Should you wish to utilise a version of this product linking to or from within another software application (directly or indirectly) – you must purchase and license a software development kit (SDK) that is intended specifically for this purpose. These SDKs are available from PDF-XChange Co Ltd on a limited and case-by-case basis, please email sales@pdf-xchange.com for further information on SDK licensing."

revida
User

Post by revida »

In the context of the EULA, a "software application" refers to a program or software that is developed or distributed to end users. It typically refers to standalone programs or applications that serve specific functions or tasks.

Strictly speaking, if we interpret the EULA strictly, calling the software via a batch file could be considered utilizing it within another software application. Therefore, it may not be allowed according to the terms of the EULA. However, I would recommend reaching out to PDF-XChange Co Ltd or their sales team (sales@pdf-xchange.com) for clarification on this matter and to discuss your specific use case in order to ensure compliance with the licensing terms.
revida marcos
[img]https://www.multispanindia.com/assets/img/multispan-logo.png[/img]
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Sorry again me..
now the question is what means "linking" ?

Is this answer correct?
In computing, a linker or link editor is a computer system program that takes one or more object files (generated by a compiler or an assembler) and combines them into a single executable file, library file, or another “object” file1.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, es42

"Linking" would be programmatically calling the command line to initiate the application from another application, even if it is MS word, or VBA.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
es42
User

Post by es42 »

Is it possible with the monitored folders to perform this action:

1) a file is added "mynewfile.doBWS" (an empty pdf file with extention .doBWS)
2) PDF Tools detects it and triggers a PDF Tool tool, that scan pages and adds them to that empty pdf file
3) Once finished to add the scanned documents the file is renamed and saved to the same folder with the name "mynewfile.pdf" (replace .doBWS with .pdf)

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, es42

Yes, it should be possible for a folder monitor to be configured so that it sees any file type and tries try to process it. Do note that some tools/actions may require a specific file extension, so ideally the files you are dropping into this folder should be native pdf files.
This article details how to create a folder monitor: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -PDF-Tools

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com