Asking new features, (1) using GPU, (2) saved to PDF folder

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MaxwellMVS
User

Asking new features, (1) using GPU, (2) saved to PDF folder

Post by MaxwellMVS »

Hi, PDF-XChange Editor,

I have many PDFs to convert into JPG/PNG files with 600dpi. Adobe Acrobat DC is too slow, so I bought PDF-XChange Editor Pro.
PDF-XChange has used Multicore CPU to enhance the converting speed. Unfortunately, my CPU is 20 cores. PDF-XChange just supports upto 16 cores.
VideoProc Converter can use GPU resources, I wish PDF-XChange also use GPU resources to enhance the converting speed.
Please check: https://www.videoproc.com/

I used folders as my data structure, I put a PDF file and its JPGs in one folder. I suggested to add a checkbox for user to save JPGs in PDF's folder so that saving the selecting time of folder. Please check my attachment:
saved to PDF folder
saved to PDF folder
There is another problem. Even I has chosen 16 cores, and the CPU utilization is still under 30%.
I wish a 1,000 pages PDF file to convert into JPGs with 600 dpi within 3 minutes.

My NB is Gigabyte Aero 2023 ed.
CPU:第13代Intel® Core™ i9-13900H 核心處理器 5.4 GHz (24M Cache, up to 5.4 GHz, 6 P-cores and 8 E- cores)
GPU:NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 獨立顯示晶片 GDDR6 8GB
Windows 11 Pro
PDF-XChanger Editor Plus:Ver. 9.5 Build 368.0

Sincerely,
Maxwell Chen
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Asking new features, (1) using GPU, (2) saved to PDF folder

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Maxwell Chen,

I am afraid that for now it is not possible to use the GPU for image processing. I have spoken with my colleagues from our dev team, and they say that such a task would require a rework of the code we use for PDF rendering. How complex this task is is now known at this moment. I will have another colleague look into that - though I can not make any promises of or when we would be able to make any changes in that respect!

Kind regards,
Stefan
p3142
User

Post by p3142 »

I agree with the suggestion to store generated JPGs in the same folder as the pdf and provide a button for this. Adobe does store JPGs in the same folder and given that I do not care how much time it takes (I usually only have to process a few pages) I usually stll switch over to Adobe for that simple reason.

Also, in case you look into processing parts of the program on a GPU: It would be most highly appreciated if one day I could OCR my documents on a GPU.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, guys

I personally like both suggestions and have made formal Feature Requests around them.

RT#6465: Feature Request :: Editor :: GPU rendering support
RT#6466: Feature Request :: Editor :: Option to use "Source folder" as output when converting files.

Please note that GPU rendering is set as "Long Term" because of the size and complexity of the task, do not expect this to materialize in any great hurry.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com