FR - lock file so multiple users can not edit same pdf in same time

Please post any ideas or requests for new features here for the End User Version of PDF-XChange (printer Drivers)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Tracker - Clarion Support, moderators, Support Staff

licenseduser
User

FR - lock file so multiple users can not edit same pdf in same time

Post by licenseduser »

Hi,
we have an issue with pdf files on network shares. If one user open a pdf file for editing, other users can open it also in PDF Xchange and edit it. And havoc is created as the last user overwrites everything saved.
In office suites in general a message appears on opening and announce that the file is opened by another user (name also is included, and open read-only option).
This is a very important feature, as we use licensed version for several years, and PDF Xchange is the main pdf editor in our company.

Thank you
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: FR - lock file so multiple users can not edit same pdf in same time

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello licenseduser,

We should actually lock the file when the first user accesses it - so while others will be able to open the same file - it will be read only for them, and if they try to save changes to it - they would be unable to.

Can you please check and ensure that you have the current latest Editor build installed?

Kind regards,
Stefan
licenseduser
User

Post by licenseduser »

Hi, i installed latest version, 9.5.368.
Behaviour is like this: i open a pdf file, other colleague open the same file, i can not save it as it shows message that is used by another process. If i close the file other user can save the file.
Bad news is that most of colleagues edit in same time and they lose their work, or have to Save as, and replace the file with others' work in it.
So please add this very important feature.
It should let users know someone use the file, best if it shows the name. And option to open readonly.
Maybe a lock file generated will be quick solution, but i am sure Trackersoftware developers know best solution for this.

Thank you
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello licenseduser,

The file is already opened as "Read Only" and that's why you can not save your changes. However you are right that this only becomes apparent when you try to save changes to the file, and not immediately upon opening the file.
I will pass your suggestion to our devs for future improvements!

Kind regards,
Stefan
licenseduser
User

Post by licenseduser »

Hello,
new version with big update entered in production, but no enhancements in file-locking feature.
Can you resend to developers this feature request please?
Thank you
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello licenseduser,

Yes - this has not been implemented yet. I will ask our UI devs to reconsider this request once again!

Kind regards,
Stefan
licenseduser
User

Post by licenseduser »

Hello,
again colleagues complain for lost hours after working on pdfs.
Do you have any feedback from developers?
We bought for all users in company, and use it extensively.
Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello licenseduser,

We do have a ticket in our system, so that we can show a warning when you open a file that someone else has already locked:
#3798: FR::File open in other instance warning
however this is unfortunately not yet implemented.

Kind regards,
Stefan
ICT_AVE
User

Post by ICT_AVE »

I do not want to hi-jack this issue but we are facing similar problems and it would be cluttering the board if I opened a new issue.

We are also experiencing issues where PDF-Xchange Editor Plus does not lock a file once opened. If another user opens the same file then the first user can't save changes. It is preferred that subsequent users can only open the file read-only.

We desperately (!) need file locking within PDF-Xchange to prevent users creating multiple copies as they only have a "saveas" option.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello ICT_AVE,

Welcome to our Fоrum.

Our developers are working on this.

We are aware of how important this feature is, so will keep you all posted on any progress.

Regards.
ICT_AVE
User

Post by ICT_AVE »

Thank you! I have taken a subscription on this topic so I won't miss any updates :)