Embedded fonts printing PDF to virtual printer

A forum for questions or concerns related to the PDF-XChange Core API SDK

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

When experiencing some errors, use the IAUX_Inst::FormatHRESULT method to see their description and include it in your post along with the error code.
alex59
User

Embedded fonts printing PDF to virtual printer

Post by alex59 »

If I print a PDF file to a virtual printer, that creates a new PDF file from the print job, and I do not use the option DDF_EmbeddedFontAsCurves, the fonts of the original PDF are embedded in the new PDF. But they do not have the original names (f.x. "ArialMT") but names like "X@F7DB9.tmp". If I mark text in the new PDF and copy it via clipboard in another document, I do not get the text, but control characters.

The problem only occurs, if the fonts are embedded in the original PDF.

If I print a PDF file to a virtual printer, that creates a new PDF file from the print job, using Adobe Acrobat Reader, the new PDF has the same fonts as the original PDF, and I can mark and copy and paste the text.

Is there a way to print a PDF file using the PDF-Change Core API such, that the new PDF has the original fonts, like I can do it with Acrobat Reader? It is not a solution to avoid to embed the fonts in the original PDF, because it may be, that the original PDF is sent to a PC, that do not has installed these fonts.

The reason of my question is, that our customers use special virtual printers, that interpret text in the PDF file for special tasks.

Best regards, Alex
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Embedded fonts printing PDF to virtual printer

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello alex59,

Apologies in the delay in getting back to you on this topic.
Our devs have started working on this and I have requested further updates from them.

Kind regards,
Stefan

p.s. There is still no estimation as to when this will be fixed.
Freund
User

Post by Freund »

Hi,

any news about this?

Regarts,
Christian (sam company as Alex)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Freund,

I have just asked our devs for an update on your case, and they told me that this is still being worked on!
We do have a ticket for your case:
#6512: Embedded fonts printing PDF to virtual printer
As soon as there are any further news on that one - we will post again here!

Kind regards,
Stefan