Hold right click to move (hand tool) [Question]

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Is this a thing? Can I enable this somewhere?
Let's say you are using the pen-tool by left-clicking and holding, could you right-click and hold to switch to the hand tool until you release the right-click button again?
Edit:
I know I can use the middle button (scroll-wheel button) to enter scroll-mode, but I prefer being able to temporarily switch to hand mode by right-clicking. Then you would simply hold right-click, and move around by holding the left click button, thus you would be able to release left-click at points and move around more accurately. – without having to switch between hand mode and the tool you're using

I understand that this is a more mouse-specific question/request, it is not really easy to achieve this on a trackpad/mousepad, but I'd say that when using a mouse this would prove to be quite useful.
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Hold right click to move (hand tool) [Question]

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, MedBooster

At the moment this is not possible, the closest we can offer is the option to have the hand tool selected for touch movement while the stylus is used for other tools on touchscreen devices.
Most apps do seem to use a middle- or right-click drag, like you suggested, unfortunately, unless we see more demand, this is not likely to be a priority request.
RT#6425: FR: hotkey to temporarily use hand tool

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:16 pm Hello, MedBooster

At the moment this is not possible, the closest we can offer is the option to have the hand tool selected for touch movement while the stylus is used for other tools on touchscreen devices.
Most apps do seem to use a middle- or right-click drag, like you suggested, unfortunately, unless we see more demand, this is not likely to be a priority request.

Kind regards,
Excellent idea! A hotkey! (but I don't think you can set hotkeys to right/left-click?)

Anyway, what about for example enabling the hand tool for the duration that you hold in Shift on your keyboard?
Wishlist
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:16 pm Hello, MedBooster

Kind regards,
Also, I was not exclusively referring to the pen-tool, the same would apply to using the rectangle tool.. arrow tool... typewriter tool.... to hold right click to temporarily switch to the hand tool
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, MedBooster

Regarding your first reply, Yes, that is among the examples I provided in the ticket. There is no reason that a hardcoded hotkey cannot function with the mouse buttons, it is simply that we do not allow customization to touch those buttons, to avoid problematic situations.
If the dev team can decide on a key to use for this (like using shift while resizing an object to "lock" its scale) than this should be possible.

For your second, yes I was simply providing the stylus function as an example of the only system we currently offer to provide anything akin to what you are looking for at the moment. hopefully we can allow this in the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Medbooster!

It turns out that there already is a hotkey for this and I was unaware, though it is not currently re-bindable. if you hold the spacebar while dragging, the hand tool will be activated temporarily, then switch back to the last used tool when you release it!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:49 pm Hello, Medbooster!

It turns out that there already is a hotkey for this and I was unaware, though it is not currently re-bindable. if you hold the spacebar while dragging, the hand tool will be activated temporarily, then switch back to the last used tool when you release it!

Kind regards,
This is not working with a touchpad (haven't tested with a mouse yet)

The touchpad is disabled when I hold space, so it switches to the hand tool , but I am not able to use it. Would have been great to be able to change the keyboard shortcut for it, that is to be held down.
Wishlist
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

There may be a hardware solution depending on your devices.

For instance, there is a fair amount of customization available for Wacom touchpads and sytlii and Logitech mice. In some cases, you can have app-specific actions associated with user actions on the interface device. Then, you can have right-clicks do one thing in PDF-XCE and something else in other apps.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK
MedBooster wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:03 pm This is not working with a touchpad (haven't tested with a mouse yet)
I have just tested this with our surface device here, and the touchpad does seem to work without issue while holding space, on the other hand, the touchscreen does not. I expect that the issue with the touchpad is, as PHK suggest, something device settings specific, as we do have the ability to work with this if it is treated as a normal mouse input.
Regarding touchscreen compatibility, as we offer other auto-switch functionality with stylus/finger touch interpretation, I am unsure if this is something which we plan to offer because of potential conflict (I also expect it is fairly uncommon that you would have a physical keyboard connected and want to use it whilst you are using the touchscreen actively).

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:53 pm Hello, PHK
MedBooster wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:03 pm This is not working with a touchpad (haven't tested with a mouse yet)
I have just tested this with our surface device here, and the touchpad does seem to work without issue while holding space, on the other hand, the touchscreen does not. I expect that the issue with the touchpad is, as PHK suggest, something device settings specific, as we do have the ability to work with this if it is treated as a normal mouse input.
Regarding touchscreen compatibility, as we offer other auto-switch functionality with stylus/finger touch interpretation, I am unsure if this is something which we plan to offer because of potential conflict (I also expect it is fairly uncommon that you would have a physical keyboard connected and want to use it whilst you are using the touchscreen actively).

Kind regards,
It's OK, I am mostly using an external mouse anyways – SO thank you for informing me of SPACE being the hotkey
It is working well with my Venus Utechsmart pro mouse :)
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

I got a question along the same lines....

What about using the select text tool, is there a "hold" shortcut for that?

E.g. holding Shift to hold and drag when using a mouse (and the active tool is something else) would have also been nice! :D
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

As far as I am aware - it's only "space bar" for the hand tool.

Kind regards,
Stefan
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:30 am Hello MedBooster,

As far as I am aware - it's only "space bar" for the hand tool.

Kind regards,
Stefan

nevermind what I said about shift, holding shift is to enable horizontal scrolling....

but it wouldn't be a bad idea to let people add their own "hold" keys in the shortcut settings.

As your shortcut settings are really good, like in adobe premiere/da vinci resolve.
In Word you annoyingly can't search for keyboard shortcuts like you can in PDF-xce... and there's no many functions you can bind to a keyboard shortcut... so good job with that. It makes a huge difference.
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

I will bring this up for discussion with a colleague from the dev team - however I can not make any promises!

Kind regards,
Stefan