Inconsistent behavior: Callout Tool

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

nowandthen
User

Inconsistent behavior: Callout Tool

Post by nowandthen »

When I'm done placing a line (line tool) or text box (Text Box Tool), then click outside the item I just placed to place another, I can hit escape and that tool function ends, the next text box that was placed, ready for input disappears. But with the Callout Tool, escape does not make the next box disappear. It leaves a Callout Box on the page. A couple of escapes deselects it but the Callout Box is still there. It takes 2 "escapes" and then "delete" to get rid of it. Text Box disappears with the first escape-key-press.
Why doesn't the Callout Box disappear on the first escape-key-press like the Text Box does? This has always frustrated me. :)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistent behavior: Callout Tool

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi nowandthen,

what version of the Editor are you running?

I don't see the same behaviour and am wondering if it changed recently or if I am misunderstanding what I am testing.

9.5.367.0 is current and Help then About will tell you what you are running.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
nowandthen
User

Post by nowandthen »

PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version 9.2 build 357.0 (Enhanced OCR) (Oct 18 2021; 17:51:53)

Before I posted. I had it check for updates, Help, Check for updates, but it reported "There are no updates available." Tracker Update is 9.5.367.0.

I just realized support expired. I paid for support and downloaded. It now shows Version 9.5 build 367.0 (Enhanced OCR) (Mar 6 2023; 20:48:57).

Same behavior after updating.
Try this: Click on the Text Box tool. Place a Text Box (type something in it). Now click outside that box. Another text box appears, don't type anything in it, instead hit the escape key, the box disappears.
Now do this: Click on the Callout Tool. Place a Callout Box (type something in it). Now click outside that box. Another Callout Box appears, don't type anything, hit the escape key, the Callout Box remains, it's selected. Hit escape again. it is no longer selected, but still present. I have to hit delete to get rid of it.
I think it should behave like the Text Box (and line tool, etc does).

Thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Inconsistent behavior confirmed (with PDF-XChange Editor build 367).

Note: make sure that "Keep Selected" is active for the Callout-tool while trying to reproduce it.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, everyone,

Thank you for the report, This is indeed inconsistent, but it may be intended due to the callout tool functionating similarly to the "line" tools (namely, the presence of the arrow causes simply placing the object to create content data which the others do not have. I have prompted the Dev team and asked if this is a bug due to the inconsistency, of if it was intended as a feature. Perhaps we will see some feedback on that, or a change if this does turn out to be a bug.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com