image insert pdf

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

User

image insert pdf

Post by 1045642 »

Hi all,

From the menu [FORM > IMAGE] I did add a square field in my pdf so that my clients can add a photo in that image field when they are filling out the form.

However, this works only when I open the pdf by myself with my PDF Xchange Editor.
When I open it on the client tablet, there is no way I can insert an image in that field.

See pdf as attachment:
testpdf.pdf
(102.04 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
I hope you guys know what is going wrong?

Thank you in advance.
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Re: image insert pdf

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi,

Looking at your document, I can see that the form field you have added to the document is not an image field, but a button field containing a javascript for importing icons:

image.png

I would suggest that you remove that form field and replace it with an image form field, which you can select in the location highlighted in the image below in the user interface:

image(1).png

That should resolve the issue for you.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
User

Post by 1045642 »

Hi,

Are you sure? I tried again with that image button. See attachment for the new one.
In this version, I used the image button you showed. but the problem still there.
testpdf V2.pdf
(102.01 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) There is indeed no immediate other way to insert an Image-form-field.
The description in the properties of the Image-form-field in PDF-XChange Editor is a bit misleading.

2) At my opinion, there is nothing wrong with your PDF-form, because there is also no problem with inserting an image via Adobe Acrobat Reader. I think it is rather the current PDF-application on your clients' tablet that does not support Image-form-fields.
Is it possible to try with an other PDF-application ?

Kind regards.
User

Post by 1045642 »

Well, I tried now on my Galaxy S23+ with latest android and adobe acrobat reader for android. I can hit the image frame, but it does nothing. No response. Really weird.

So the situation is the same as on our tablet.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

You would be correct on both fronts there. I do not believe Sean was aware of this at the time, but Technically there is no such thing as "image" fields, the button we offer is actually just a button field contains prewritten JS to open a local file browser and fetch a selected image file, then set that as its own icon, exactly as OP is seeing.

Following that, because this is JavaScript which is designed to open a windows file browser function, most mobile devices will not be compatible with it, unless the app you are using is specially formatted to catch that call and reroute it to a local system function (which may or may not work). This is not a limitation of our software, but a limitation in how PDF itself works, which can only be addressed by the application being used for filling.

I should also note that it is generally not recommended to use mobile devices for much PDF editing or even filling. If either task must be done, the apps offered by Google and Adobe should be used. Others are fine for viewing, but to date those two apps are the only ones I have found which reliably respect the PDF specification on any mobile device platform, and as such are the only ones which I can openly trust not to damage your docuemnts during use. (we also do not offer our own mobile app, and do not currently plan to do so).

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com