About the "Ignore Display Transformation" option  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

About the "Ignore Display Transformation" option

Post by rakunavi »

=== UPDATE ===================================================================
The issue reported below has been resolved in Ver 10.1.0 build 380.
I appreciate all the hard work and efforts of the support and development team.
==============================================================================

Hello all,

When editing an image in the Edit Image menu after activating the Edit menu, I found signs of what appears to be a bug about the "Ignore Display Transformation" option settings.

The tooltip and the manual describe the feature as follows. The manual is written based on the older version of the menu, but I think they basically mean the same thing.

• Ignore Display Transformation
    By choosing this option, the image will be edited as it was added into the PDF file. This means that all rotations, transformations, scales applied to the image and page will be ignored.
  • Click Edit/Save Images Without Display Transformations to enable/disable this feature. When it is enabled, images can be edited/saved in the state that they were in when added to the document. All subsequent rotations, transformations and scaling operations applied to the image/page are ignored.
    https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... ls_ed.html
I understand this option as follows.

• If this option is disabled (purple in the figure below), the Rotation, Width, Height, etc. set in transformation are directly applied to the image, and then the Built-in Editor opens. After editing the image, the transformation is not performed (since the image itself already reflects the transformation).

Conversely, if the option is enabled (green in the figure below), the original image is opened in the Built-in Editor, and after any edits are made to the image, the same transformations are applied as before the edits.

Figure.png
After all, although there is a difference in whether the transformation is directly reflected in the image data or not, I understand that the final appearance on the PDF will be almost the same. I am not confident that my understanding is correct, but even if it is not correct, the verification results presented below imply the existence of a bug, so I will continue reporting.

In the verification, the following transformations were applied to the image content.

• Only Rotation is set to 20 degrees.
  • Only Width is set to 50%.
  • Only Shear is set to 20 degrees.
In order to see the difference between the "Ignore Display Transformation" options described above, I duplicated each transformation and created a final sample consisting of 6 pages.

Please refer to the following verification procedure and see attached verification video for more details.

1. Select the image in the page prepared for verification with the option Enabled.
  2. Enable "Ignore Display Transformation" option
  3. Select Edit Image to open the Build-in Editor
  4. Convert to grayscale
  5. Select the image in the page prepared for verification with the option Disabled.
  6. Disable "Ignore Display Transformation" option
  7. Select Edit Image to open the Build-in Editor
  8. Convert to grayscale
The above procedures were repeated for each of the three transformations (rotation, width, and shear).

The video shows two identical files side by side, but I made some edits to the file on the right side of the window to make it easier to see the differences.

• desktop.png
If my understanding of the "Ignore Display Transformations" option above is correct, the file on the right should be the same except that the file on the left is changed to grayscale, but pages B, C, and E, shown in red, are different.

• On page B (option disabled), after editing in the built-in editor, a 20-degree rotation transformation is performed.
  • On page C (option enabled), the aspect ratio is incorrect and the size is smaller.
  • On page E (option enabled), the shear transformation is not reflect correctly.
Unintended results for Rotation when the option is disabled and for Width and Shear when the option is enabled, respectively. Please pay attention that the effect is not symmetrical. Even if my understanding of the option is wrong, it is obviously strange that the effect is not symmetrical for the three Transformations.

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.5 build 367.0
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.1413
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL, HP All-in-One 22-c0xx
Last edited by rakunavi on Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: About the "Ignore Display Transformation" option

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

Thank you for the report, I have reproduced this, and passed this along to the Dev team for review. We will likely be making a ticket for this shortly. When I do so, I will updating this post with the ticket number for you.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Daniel, thank you for taking the time to look into this in detail.

The following is an additional report.

An option related to the options reported here is "Save without Display Transformations". This option exists in the save dialog that appears in the right-click menu when an image is selected with the edit menu enabled.

savedialog1.png

Using the sample shown in the above report, the following results are obtained when saving an image file with this option toggled on and off.

savedialog2.png

I could be wrong, but it seems to be the exact opposite of what one would expect from the phrase "Save without Display Transformations". Note that, unlike the results in the above report, the results here are symmetric regardless of the Transformation. I am just pointing out that the results obtained seem to be the opposite of what is explained in the dialog options. If you prefer to fix the dialog description, "Save with Display Transformations" seems more appropriate than "Save without Display Transformations".

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, rakunavi

Thank you for this followup. I see that as well, and will be making a ticket for it shortly.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: About the "Ignore Display Transformation" option  SOLVED

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi rakunavi.

We will fix all mentioned issues in the near future. Thanks for the well-prepared report - it helped us a lot.

Best Regards,
Vasyl.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Vasyl,

Thank you for your great efforts. I look forward to future updates.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

About the "Ignore Display Transformation" option

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com