Folder monitor actioning unintended files

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Bhaab
User

Folder monitor actioning unintended files

Post by Bhaab »

I guess this is more a bug report?
I have a folder monitor set up with a tool that filters for a specific filename to process, then moves the file to a new folder and does the rest of the needful.
(thanks again for that idea, I've since expanded it to refer to a list, with just that path and filename, even added a few steps so it doesn't re-open itself after editing, but that's beyond the scope of this post.. :wink: )

The issue is that when the monitor detects that one file, it will not just move that file, it sometime grabs another (or even two), and moves it to the new directory. It doesn't perform any additional actions, simply moves it along with the intended file, but it happens only intermittently, not every time.

I finally got around to testing a theory today, and moved several PDF files into the same directory as the intended, right as the that file was created, and they all got moved to the new directory.. I believe what happens is that as the files are getting moved in, downloaded, or otherwise created, they are being flagged by the monitor and moved to the new folder for the tool to act on, it's like it sees the one file being created and decides that all files being created in that few seconds are needed to be worked regardless of filename. The monitor moves them, but once they are in the new directory, of course the tool doesn't process them because they don't match filename, and there they languish until I hunt them down..

I have a workaround where I have a second monitor running to watch for the names in the new folder and move the affected files back to where they are supposed to be, but I thought I should bring this to your attention. It's quite reproducible on my end, and I'd be happy to share whatever tool files etc. you might need.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Folder monitor actioning unintended files

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Bhaab

Thank you for the report, This will be something where we will need a copy of your custom tools/folder monitors to troubleshoot. As those could contain personal/sensitive information, (like that contained in a file path) I will ask that we move the discussion to email.
Could you please send us an email via support@pdf-xchange.com, with a link to this post, and a settings export from PDF-Tools, as well as a description of exactly which tools you are using, so that we can investigate that?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Bhaab
User

Post by Bhaab »

Sent, look forward to seeing you in email!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Bhaab

Thank you for sending that over, I have replied to the email, in short, it looks like there were multiple conflicts, one with multiple monitors looking at the same folder, and another with a single tool having multiple output options.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com