Hints for German translation

For translators, questions, tips and suggestions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jotess
User

Hints for German translation

Post by jotess »

Is there a better place than the forum to report translation problems?
  • The German translation of "Number" by "Nummer" is a bit wrong. This would be an ordinal number. Correct would be "Zahl".
  • And all occurrences of "None" are translated with "Keine Information". This means "no information" and doesn't make sense. Korrekt translation would be "Keine" (or keins or keiner). As is depends on the genus of the word it would require manually checking each one. "Nein" would be a good compromise.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Hints for German translation

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, jotess

The Forums are the correct place to report these items and I moved your post into the "PDF-Xchange Translators" forum (which is part of the development forums). This is the best location because our translations are all handled by Volunteer translators, most of which are present on the forums here and able to see such reports.
I will ask our translations manager to contact our current active German translator for his thoughts on these items.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Oksana
User

Post by Oksana »

Hi Jotess,
Could you please send screenshots or point to places with the incorrect translations?
( oksana@tracker-software.com )
These words are met in many places, and there is not clear where you suggest correcting them.
Oksana Poberezhnyk
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Support: <support@tracker-software.com>
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

(Send screenshots -> done)

I have got another point where a translation is not completely incomprehensible but it sounds pretty weird to Germans who are not programmers: "Wahr" and "Falsch". Though I just realized by switching my UI to English that these are "True" and "False" even in the English version. E. g. in formatting text: "Bold: False, Italic: True".
Although I am not a native speaker I believe that this can't be common everyday language but rather IT jargon. Do other applications (e.g. for text processing, not for programming) use these terms? I can't tell if "True" and "False" sound weird (or at least a bit far-fetched) to native speakers of English - I would expect "Yes" and "No".
Or: checkboxes, which are ergonomically better anyway, in my opinion.

Best regards
Joachim
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Another one: Measurements.
The distance tool has a few properties concerning line endings that are strangely translated:
  • "Butt" could be "Querstrich". (Out of the many meanings that "butt" can have in German, the one you have chosen means the but of a rifle. And this German word "Kolben" may as well mean "piston", "flask", "plunger", "cob" or many more things. So the word just doesn't make any sense.)
  • "Slash" could be "Schräger Strich". ("Schlitz" means "slot" in English. Makes no sense.)
I haven't understood how to embed images, so I can just give download links:
EN: [url]https://www.joachimschneider.info/nc/index.php/s/rjx4srZFwpgDsfo[/url]
DE: [url]https://www.joachimschneider.info/nc/index.php/s/JERzdKXN5A64kLX[/url]
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

At first I thought you were talking about an actual translator/dictionary (Übersetzer/Wörterbuch), like Reverso or Google Translate, in PDF-xce, and I got excited, but then I realized you are probably just talking about how options and features are translated into German in the program menus etc... :)
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello jotess,

Thank you for the provided information.

The report will be forwarded to the appropriate translator, so he can fix the mistakes.

Regards.
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Hello,
one more translation hint. While deleting measurement presets that I don't nee i realized that some have a name that doesn't make sense:
grafik.png
grafik.png (9.2 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
The word "Inhalt" means "content" and doesn't make sense. It should be something like "Innenmaß" ("inner measurement" or something like this). So it would be: "Innenmaß blau". For the other presets I can't tell any more if the names made sense because I have already deleted them.

I just realized you have changed the translations of the measurement line endings. Fine, thank you!

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello jotess,

We've passed your above suggestion to the appropriate team member and will address this!

Kind regards,
Stefan