can pdfxce execute command? or open files with URI/parameters?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

krstoevan
User

can pdfxce execute command? or open files with URI/parameters?

Post by krstoevan »

hi,

In a PDF, i labelled a paragraph with nameddest, other programs can link to this nameddest.

yet i wish to do 2way linkage, so wish this paragraph could link to outside.

the program i use is mindmanager.

it could be done if pdfxce can execute this command, inside the link that i added near that paragraph:

mindmanager.exe mj-map:///\\server\file.mmap#oid={C3ACC086-7882-4E9F-AC4E-4B22658E4548}

(mindmanager.exe was added to my windows path already)

in pdfxce i found i can add link, and in advanced,
there is add command, but seems those are for pdfxce's own command, and not command prompt.

other options like add webpage, open documents seems not appropriate.

i am on version v9.1 build 356

any suggestion? thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: can pdfxce execute command? or open files with URI/parameters?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello krstoevan,

I believe that using the AddWeb Link and then pasting the whole of your command as the web link might work:
image.png
Alternatively - try the Open a File - then supply the path to the mapp manager file (e.g. just the /\\server\file.mmap part), and then in the additional parameters add the rest of your parameters ( #oid={C3ACC086-7882-4E9F-AC4E-4B22658E4548} ) and this should pass the path + the parameters to the command line. Then windows should try to open mind manager with the information supplied.

Kind regards,
Stefan
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:14 am Hello krstoevan,

I believe that using the AddWeb Link and then pasting the whole of your command as the web link might work:
image.png

Alternatively - try the Open a File - then supply the path to the mapp manager file (e.g. just the /\\server\file.mmap part), and then in the additional parameters add the rest of your parameters ( #oid={C3ACC086-7882-4E9F-AC4E-4B22658E4548} ) and this should pass the path + the parameters to the command line. Then windows should try to open mind manager with the information supplied.

Kind regards,
Stefan

1. open a web link failed:
it start the mm.exe at the pdf's folder:
image.png
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:14 am Hello krstoevan,

image.png

Kind regards,
Stefan
2. for 2nd method "open file",
pdfxce could only start up that mindmap,

even thru the parameters are different, they only show up the same mindmap,
and the highlight/selected topic is independent of the click link.

so... both failed. thanks
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi krstoevan,

it sounds to me like the issue is with the mindMapper. Are you able to create functional links using any other software? We do create standard links for the various link objects and they are compliant with the ISO specifications, if the mind mapper is capable of handling the links and other software can create/set them then I expect we should be able to also. Knowing if it works at all with any links is key here.

Have you had success with any other application?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:01 pm Hi krstoevan,

it sounds to me like the issue is with the mindMapper. Are you able to create functional links using any other software? We do create standard links for the various link objects and they are compliant with the ISO specifications, if the mind mapper is capable of handling the links and other software can create/set them then I expect we should be able to also. Knowing if it works at all with any links is key here.

Have you had success with any other application?
hi, mindmanager may be a less known product.

how about i use onenote as an example?

i wll repeat the above with onenote when i have time.

btw i tried heavily before, it seems there is something to deal with the URL //server/xxxx.map;
i remember if use C:\xxxx.map it works in 1 or 2. i'll confirm you later.

thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello krstoevan,

Thanks for the above. Looking forward to your update once you've had a chance to try e.g. OneNote and Mind manager with shorter links!

Kind regards,
Stefan
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:10 pm Hello krstoevan,

Thanks for the above. Looking forward to your update once you've had a chance to try e.g. OneNote and Mind manager with shorter links!

Kind regards,
Stefan

hi, I found out it seem is pdfxce's imperfect implementation.

let's only deal with pdfxce and onenote.

onenote notes are .one and you can copy a single one say as c:\users\trackersoft\documents\abc.one
suppose this win10 is called \\server1\

when you click into the .one file, onenote will open it (let's don't worry it is outside your "notebook"),
and when you Rt click on the title, you could obtain "copy link to section".

my onenote gave me a link, using UNC path:
onenote:///\\server1\trackersoft\Documents\abc.one#section-id={529EBBF5-8286-4BB1-B3B5-A3332C67C28A}&end
let me call this "onenote UNC link"

however one can manually change it into using letter C:
onenote:///C:\trackersoft\Documents\abc.one#section-id={529EBBF5-8286-4BB1-B3B5-A3332C67C28A}&end
let me call this "onenote drive_letter link"

then,
inside pdfxce, open any existing PDF.
add a link,
choose advanced, then choose "add a web link".
if you put the "onenote driver_letter link" there,
YES! onenote open the link EXACTLY, depend on your link, it could be the title,
could be a PARAGRAPH.

but if you paste the "onenote UNC path" into pdfxce,
the "OK" button remains grey and you can never finish the job.

this sucks.

thank you.
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:10 pm Hello krstoevan,

Kind regards,
Stefan
btw, so for both mindmanager and onenote,
the default way to hyperlink back to them is thru different URI:
mj-map for mindmanager, as mj-map:/// xxx
onenote for onenote. as onenote:/// xxx

this is better than asking user to choose a file, and add back the parameters themselves (in addition,
this DIDN"T work!)

so, the problem is, pdfxce allows using drive_letter in the link-add-web function, but disallow using UNC path.
this is the problem.

thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, krstoevan

Please see the attached file.
links samples.pdf
(4.75 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
These all seem to open the appropriate apps on our end. After some speaking with the Dev team, this is what we have to showcase it for you. Can you please try the three links here and let me know if you have any issues that prevent it from launching the correct apps?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

hi, for the link sample pdf above:

1.if i use link tools to go into the 3rd link,
choose properties, then double click on the URL link.
from this snapshot you can see the "OK" is grey, not clickable.
image.png
2. for this 2nd link using C:\
do the same and you can see the "OK" button is with blue boundary.
image(1).png
so for me,
every time i enter the onenote/mindmanager URL link,
i cant even get the "OK" button pushed.

may be you could tell me how your side could synthesis this PDF, /w the URL link entered.
howcome your "OK" button is clickable?

my system:
win10 64b
pdfxce portable
v9.1 356

thank you
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, krstoevan

This should be working the way you have it, the only thing I can suspect at this point is that it is a bug in the older version you are running. Can you please try updating to 9.5.367.0, and then try creating these links again?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:25 pm Hello, krstoevan

This should be working the way you have it, the only thing I can suspect at this point is that it is a bug in the older version you are running. Can you please try updating to 9.5.367.0, and then try creating these links again?

Kind regards,
hi,

1. i am NOT creating these in another PDF, i simply USING your PDF above. why don't you try do the same and see if your OK is clickable if the link for "open a web" is a URL link?

2. 9.1 356 is the most update version i could get. pdfxce become quite expensive i am not going to subscript again RECENTLY.

but i could help toggle the problem, see if you may send some serial that only work for say 1month and i could try that in portable version for good.

btw, if it's a bug and got corrected, there is higher motivation for me to subscript again earlier. otherwise pdfxce is good and fulfilled almost all what i want for daily driving.

thank you.
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

Kind regards,
hi, do you think the demo version of newer versions could do this action? even with watermark?
just wanna try it out.
thanks
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

Kind regards,
hi,

the other way round,

if the new version is NOT avaiable to me,

why don't you try win10 64bit + portable v9.1 356 and try the above?

anyway would be nice if you could proof that in new version,
both OK are with blue boundary so I could know the bug is corrected,
that counts when i consider to subscribe later.

i can only afford to subscribe with inter periods, the price doubled since my previous purchases.

thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello krstoevan,

Yes - the third link works correctly in the current version:
image.png
And you can download and try e.g. the portable of the latest build from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
To test on your side, before you decide whether to upgrade your license so that you can gain access to this latest build.

Kind regards,
Stefan
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:53 am Hello krstoevan,

Yes - the third link works correctly in the current version:
image.png

And you can download and try e.g. the portable of the latest build from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
To test on your side, before you decide whether to upgrade your license so that you can gain access to this latest build.

Kind regards,
Stefan
it would be sad for customer to pay to upgrade for the bug, which is not made by him.

if this is really a bug, will any discount be available? thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, krstoevan

All three links work on this end in the current release for opening the included OneNote links, I personally verified all of them before posting the file here for you as examples of functional links. We do not have the application you are experiencing trouble with on our end, so you will need to update the software in order to test in the current version. Do note that there is no need to renew your license for this test, you simply need to go to the product page and download/run the current installer (Or download a copy of the portable) and test the functionality without a license key present. (if you wish to roll back after the test, that is certainly possible and your license will not be negatively impacted by the process at all)

If after updating and testing, you find this does not work in the current version, given that it is working perfectly fine with OneNote, the issue is within how the application you are using is receiving the commands (or the commands you have entered causing confusion in windows), and not how we are sending these commands, clearly they do with with external apps, as evinced by Onenote itself responding. In this case, you will need to reach out to your MJ-map application developers, and as them for assistance configuring the command parameters as needed.
Should you find that the update does resolve the issue for you within your MJ-map application, you can then consider purchasing a maintenance renewal for our software.

As an aside, and because you mentioned maintenance renewal pricing. If you renew within 30 days of license key expiry, The renewal cost is already discounted as much as possible. This discount is then reduced slowly over the next 2-3 years, until you are eventually only seeing a 10% discount (the minimum we offer for renewal pricing). Someone renewing the software will always pay at least 10% less for the renewal than someone buying it brand new (and if renewed in a timely manner, they will have to pay considerably less than that). Beyond this inbuilt renewal discount for customer loyalty, I cannot offer any additional discounts on renewal pricing.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

[technically solved]
1. for the above link.pdf, i used latest v9.5 367 portable from .eu, yes the OK is clickable when I replace the link into URI style link. And when click in whatever version, it did leads to the exact paragraph the URI link to.
2. then I tried to try replace the link in the same way, using v9.1 356 portable, no luck, the OK is not clickable.
3. simply say this "bug" is corrected at some time after v9.1 356, and using latest versions, one could use URI style links to bilink whereever he/she want

[money problem]
no i don't have money for that, and even have, i don't think it's fair for me to pay for it.

i don't think i could get free or great discount.

but, as the latest free portable one could edit the link,
may i ask can you send me a page how free edition is differ from the paid edition?
it seems in the past, the free edition will add a non-removable watermark to disturb the users, if they used "paid" features.

and... could i use the latest free and old (v9.1 356) versions interchangably, i.e.
use v9.1 as usual, only use the lastest free to edit the link?
i accept that, i just wish you warn me before there is a non-removable watermark added.
thank you.

ps the price doubled since several years ago.
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

i think it's reasonable and fair and kind if your company will give discount to those who found bugs for your company. probably not for me in this case as this is an old bug somehow fixed before.
krstoevan
User

Post by krstoevan »

hey, i found that the free lastest portable version could add URL links,
save and with no watermarks.

so if i am not going to pay,
i could use it interchangably with my old v9.1 version right?
thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, krstoevan

As before, I am afraid that I cannot offer anything more than what Is presented on your account page as a discount for your renewal.

Regarding your question about simultaneous use, yes, if you have the portable version of the latest release, you can use the two interchangably without issue. Only one version can be installed on your device, but if one of them is a portable version, they will not interfere with each other.

Finally about free features, yes, much like before, the only limitations between the free and paid version is that demo stamps will be applied upon saving if a premium feature was used. You will be warned when trying to activate a premium feature, and a banner will appear atop the document to remind you after you have used one.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com