[suggestion] Extended OCR error message due to lack of system resources

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

[suggestion] Extended OCR error message due to lack of system resources

Post by Jensen Head »

There is not enough memory to successfully finish this operation, with the options that have been selected. Please try to select a lower 'Accuracy' level and retry again. Недостаточно ресурсов памяти для завершения операции [1].
[1] "Not enough memory resources to complete the operation" (rus.)

When the above cited recognition error message appears during the processing of documents in PDF-Tools, it is completely incomprehensible what resources the application lacks? If this error occurs often enough, I can increase the amount of RAM, the disk space where the temporary files are located, the SWAP file, change the processor ... - but I need to know what.
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Re: [suggestion] Extended OCR error message due to lack of system resources

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi Jensen Head,

I have asked the team about this and will get back to you in due course with further information.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi Jensen Head,

I just received this from one of our developers in relation to the error message you mentioned above:

"On 32-bit Windows that issue is possible when user tries to OCR large pages/images (and/or when he uses High accuracy). The OCR may try to reserve a large amount of RAM (sometimes it may take tens or even hundreds of MB per page). But due to potential fragmentation of memory - sometimes it can't allocate it as a single block. Technically, the application can have a lot of free memory, but due to the fact that it is too fragmented, it might be impossible to allocate large memory-blocks.

On 64-bit Windows that problem should never appear, except in cases where the system does not have enough disk space for the paging file, or when the size of the system paging file is limited by the user".

I hope this provides some clarification.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I have Windows 10 Pro 22H2 build 19045.2546 x64, RAM 32 GB. The swap file on an NTFS drive that has more than 200 GB of free space is set to "Size at system choice". The next time the error appears, I will tell you how much free space was on the disk with the paging file. However, I doubt that the size of the swap file was more than 200 GB. I usually don't run heavy applications at the same time as lengthy PDF-Tools batch processing.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi, Jensen Head

It does not matter how much system resources are avail when you are using 32-bit application - it has architectural limit, and nothing can be done. So please make sure that you are using 64-bit application.

Kind regards,
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

2023-02-06_15-08-23.png
2023-02-06_15-08-23.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Jensen Head,

I am not sure what the image posted should tell me, but I am assuming you use the 64 bit version of the Editor. Can you confirm that you are ? I believe this is what is being asked of you.

It will show in the Task Manager if it is 32 bit:
image.png
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:09 pmI am assuming you use the 64 bit version of the Editor.
Yes, I am using the 64 bit version of the Editor.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jensen Head,
Can you please send us your PDF Tools settings? You can export your settings to a file (Options->Export All Settings) and send us that file.
Is it possible to reliably reproduce this error by repeatedly running the "OCR Pages" tool on the same set of input files?
What is the total memory utilization (Windows Task Manager -> Performance tab) immediately before this error occurs?
Thanks.
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

As soon as I encounter this error again, I will perform all the measurements you requested, and send the settings.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

Thanks for this! Looking forward to that report!

Kind regards,
Stefan