View Image as Popout

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ddk
User

View Image as Popout

Post by ddk »

When a pdf has an image embedded, I often want to see a bigger view of the image. I can zoom the whole pdf but thats not the right answer. I can edit the image using the built-in edit, then zoom that which works quite well.
What would be even nicer is to simplify that so that if I dblclick an image, it auto opens the popout default editor (or just a viewer).
The current editor always opens a small window, that I must then expand, then select Fit Visible. It would be great if the dblclick popout view to simplify this, perhaps by just rembering the previous window size and image zoom setting.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: View Image as Popout

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ddk,

thanks for the post and suggestion. One problem I can forsee with this is that most of the time the images in the PDF are already at 100% in the document. Popping them out wouldn't make them bigger and zooming is already possible on the page:
image.png
Here is an example I see a lot of. The page is set to "Fit Width" which already makes the image larger than it would be when displayed at 1:1. I see this a lot on Web Sites and to be honest it irritates me no end. I click an image to get an enlarged view and the light box shows me a smaller one! PDFs are not web pages and what you see when you look at an image on a page is often times the result of blending, cropping and more. It's not as simple as it may appear at first glance to the uninitiated. ;)

Have you considered using the Loupe Tool? If an image does have higher resolution it will be available though it. My sample didn't have a higher resolution available.
LoupeTool.gif
I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ddk
User

Post by ddk »

Thankyou. The Loupe tool is not something I have ever got into, but it does sort of achieve what I want. To view one pic after another you need either a large or multi monitor so the loupe window can keep out of the way as you scroll over each pic in the pdf.
I understand what you say about image size/quality so enlarging may not be very good. I still think a popout viewer would be a worthy addition if you wouldn't mind adding it to the wish list.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ddk,

Most people would be happy with zooming in the whole PDF page - it's relatively quick with Ctrl + Mouse Wheel, and you can then quickly zoom back to continue reading any text that might also be on the page, so a dedicated pop-up image previewer is unlikely to happen.
So the "Edit Image" or "Loupe Tool" as suggested above are your options, and the Loupe tool window will remain as large as you've made it, and will update as soon as you switch back to the loupe tool (maybe with a custom shortcut), so it is quite close to your requested feature.

Kind regards,
Stefan