Brazilian gov.br Digital Signature import

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ThiagoFS
User

Brazilian gov.br Digital Signature import

Post by ThiagoFS »

Brazilian government digital services include a digital certificate document signatures:

https://www.gov.br/governodigital/pt-br/assinatura-eletronica

Documents may be signed online in the gov.br web page, but we may also download the PKCS #7 (.p7b) certificate file to sign documents locally.

Service web page gives instructions on how to import this file to Adobe Acrobat Reader, but messing around with PDF-XChange Editor settings I could not find an option to import .p7b files, only .pfx or .p12.

Question: does PDF-XChange Editor supports .p7b certificates? If yes, how to import this file to the application?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Brazilian gov.br Digital Signature import

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ThiagoFS

thanks for the post and excellent question.

You should be able to import the .p7b file into the Windows System Store, OR convert it to a .pfx cert. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do the conversion out there.

One thing this brings up is the presence of the private key. Not all certificate contain their private key and without access to the private key one cannot perform the encryption. As I understand it .p7b certificates do not contain a private key, so I reached out to the development team. They will do some more in depth research into this because if Adobe is able to encrypt using the key then we should be able to also.

Maybe touch base back here mid next week to see what they found?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ThiagoFS
User

Post by ThiagoFS »

sure, I'll check it in a few days. Thanks, Paul!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again ThiagoFS,

we are not having any luck finding out more about these certificates. What we are seeing on their web page regards Adobe appears to be for opening already signed government documents, not for signing them.

The online service is different as it does offer signing documents but not via an application.

Were you able to determine if your .p7b certificate includes the private key? It must in order to be used to encrypt documents which is typically what a digital signature is used for in this context. I think the simplest solution would be to convert it to a .pfx certificate and check to see if it has the private key:
image.png
You could then use it in the Editor.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
ThiagoFS
User

Post by ThiagoFS »

I tried to convert the file here and it does not contain the private key.

I checked the Adobe instructions provided by the government site, and indeed it seems to be to easily recognize a signed file and not to sign on the application itself.

Thank you!!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for getting back to us with this.

So you are satisfied with the situation? Is there anything more we need to do around this or does that answer suffice?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke