SUGGESTION: Name New File in Tab Drop-Down Menu

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

Post by PHK »

As it is now, when users create a new file (from a scan or Combine Files and probably many others), we get a new document window with a new tab at the top that says, "New Document." This is not savable as it is, it must be given a name for a new file. There are various ways to give the file a new unique name except there is one possibility not offered: using the right-click tab drop-down menu. It would be nice to have an option there to Name That File. Appropriately, there is the option in the right-click tab drop-down menu to Rename the active and previously-named and -saved file. Cannot something similar be done for new document files?

Thanking you in advance for considering this hare-brained suggestion.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: SUGGESTION: Name New File in Tab Drop-Down Menu

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

I am afraid that no, this is not possible for new files. The "rename" function relies on there being a physical file stored at an accessible location in order to be used. There is no purpose to naming a file if you are not saving it, and thus, if you wish to name any new document, you need only save it to do so. At the moment, there are no plans to change this handling, though perhaps we may see something in the distant future, if we move from working directly with the opened file, to a system like MS word, where we save a temporary file that is worked on instead.
I cannot make any promises of this, that last bit was simply my own speculation of when it may become a possibility.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Daniel, I understand and accept all you have written on the subject but how about a "Name and Save" function available on the drop-down?

As it is now, we users have to close the tab when we get the name option pop-up, 1 step. Then we name and save it, 2nd step. Then if we want to get into the file to continue to work on it, we have to find it and open it, a couple more steps. What would be more efficient would be if we could name and save the file without losing it as a document in progress. As a brand new "New Document" has not yet been saved, a great deal of work in creating this new file could be lost before saving it if the user had not done all of the above and something untoward happens, like a crash.

This concern arose for me when I was downloading a significant number of multi-page documents from the web, combining files, and merging pages into one single-page document. The more I got into it, the more 'nervous' I got about losing my work product to that point and I would have liked to have had an interim safety save without going through the established file-saving rigmarole. Or at least with a mimimal interruption of my work flow. Is that too much to ask?
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

I am not certain that I understand what it is you are suggesting here? Would simply using the save/save as functions built in (Ctrl+S or Ctrl+Shift+S), which open the save as dialog and allow you to name a file, without closing it, not be enough?

In your latter case, you mention worrying about opening numerous documents and merging them, instead of using the "combine documents" feature, why not use the "insert pages" feature (better yet, did you know you can drag/drop an entire document into the thumbnails pane to quickly insert it into the current file?).

There are alternative tools which are already suited to this task, and would be much better to use than a function which results in an "extra" feature which essentially does exactly what the "save" button already does...

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:36 pm ...Would simply using the save/save as functions built in (Ctrl+S or Ctrl+Shift+S), which open the save as dialog and allow you to name a file, without closing it, not be enough?
Well, yes, very good point! To be honest, I never use the hot-key Ctrl+S or Ctrl+Shift+S functions. I guess what you are saying is that "yes, you should!" Point taken. And I guess I was just so focussed on the Tab and, being aware there was the Rename function in the drop-down for already-existing document files, I was surprised not to see a an analogue functionality for saving a new file and it did not occur to click the save button. Silly me.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:36 pm In your latter case, you mention worrying about opening numerous documents and merging them, instead of using the "combine documents" feature, why not use the "insert pages" feature (better yet, did you know you can drag/drop an entire document into the thumbnails pane to quickly insert it into the current file?).
I am not having any problems doing what I described and you may have misunderstood. I only mentioned what I was doing simply to provide my working context and for making it slightly less unclear as to why I raised the issue. My concern was about having a mid-flow crash or other interruption before I had a chance to save the new file. I have no worries about combining many files into one and none whatsover about merging pages. I know about insert pages and dragging and dropping use them both extensively but I find Combine Files works well for the particular task I had at hand.

I suppose it is correct for Tracker to resist adding one more "extra" redundancy as I appreciate that even the smallest changes incur costs that may outweigh negligible user benefits.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com