Paste image set max width or height

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Paste image set max width or height

Post by MedBooster »

Is there a way to set the max width/height an image is pasted as in PDF xce? I get that for higher quality ones it seems to stretch out to fit the width of the page automatically, but I would want it to be smaller, set a max width and height, to make it easier to resize and position to my needs
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Paste image set max width or height

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, MedBooster

the simplest method is to copy the image from its source location, and then paste it into the editor with Ctrl_V. This will place it at the maximum size that can fit on the page, and from there you would reduce its size/scale if needed.

Beyond that, the only way to pre-define the size of an image prior to placement would be the "add > images" tool, and the problem with that is it defines both dimensions of the image, resulting in stretching if you do not place it perfectly.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:44 pm Hello, MedBooster

the simplest method is to copy the image from its source location, and then paste it into the editor with Ctrl_V. This will place it at the maximum size that can fit on the page, and from there you would reduce its size/scale if needed.

Beyond that, the only way to pre-define the size of an image prior to placement would be the "add > images" tool, and the problem with that is it defines both dimensions of the image, resulting in stretching if you do not place it perfectly.

Kind regards,
it would have been nice with a function to which you could assign a shortcut as well that would set a fixed max width. with a fixed width height ratio so that there is no warping like you say
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, MedBooster

The trouble with that type of an "insert images" function would be the implementation. There wouldnt be a good way to present such a function. While I can certainly pass this on to the Dev team for consideration, I cannot make any promises for implementation.

It is worth noting that in the meantime, any time you are resizing an image (or any object with a corner drag handle that allow stretching) you can hold down Shift to lock the aspect ratio.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:57 pm Hello, MedBooster

The trouble with that type of an "insert images" function would be the implementation. There wouldnt be a good way to present such a function. While I can certainly pass this on to the Dev team for consideration, I cannot make any promises for implementation.

It is worth noting that in the meantime, any time you are resizing an image (or any object with a corner drag handle that allow stretching) you can hold down Shift to lock the aspect ratio.

Kind regards,

Is there a way to make dragging the corners not stretch the image? Other than holding shift to lock the height-width ratio as you mentioned.
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, MedBooster

Another possible option would be to use the new "arrange" toolbar, which offers a transform tool. This would allow you to specify the width/height of the object with relation to the current page object. By default, the aspect ratio is locked, so you could finally adjust the images to be, for example, exactly 500 pixels wide, and have the height scaled relative:
image.png
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Is there a way to maybe reverse the default setting?

I would rather like to have the aspect ratio be fixed UNTIL I press Shift. So only holding shift will unlock the aspect ratio so the image gets warped.

Do you agree that would make more sense?

I doubt people want to change the aspect ratio of images most of the time
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

Depending on how you add your images to your files - you might find that if you open the image in e.g. Paint - select it's pixels and then copy that and try to paste to your document - this will paste a stamp that is by default preserving the aspect ratio when you resize it.

I presume you were using Organize -> Insert -> Insert Images... before? This would add the images as base content objects which can indeed be 'deformed' when resizing.

Kind regards,
Stefan