?Copy Related Combine Files Option

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

?Copy Related Combine Files Option

Post by PHK »

image(1).png
Attachments
image.png
All best,

FringePhil
rakunavi
User

Re: ?Copy Related Combine Files Option

Post by rakunavi »

Hi PHK,

"Copy All" copies the bookmarks of the source file exactly and completely. Whether or not a bookmark destination exists is not taken into account at all.

On the other hand, "Copy Related" copies only those bookmarks that are actually related to the page being inserted or merged. Thus, items for which no bookmark destination page exists will not be copied, nor will GotoR actions to external files, Web links, etc.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks for that Rakunavi!

But just to be pedantic, am I correct in adding the bracketed words below?
rakunavi wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:37 pm ..."Copy Related" copies only those bookmarks that are actually related to the page being inserted or merged [?]. Thus, items for which no bookmark destination page exists [in the Combine Files selection] will not be copied....
And in Combine Files, the user is not merging pages, no?
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

In the combine files dialog, you are able to specify page ranges for the combined files, not only combining the whole documents. Also, like Rakunavi mentioned, broken bookmarks (those with no destination, or those pointing to locations outside of the source file in question) will be removed, this is true regardless of if you are only copying page 1 from each document, or if you are copying every page from all documents to be combined (merged).
Also, as the combine files dialog is always creating a new file, all selected input files are considered to be the "source" files, so these rules apply to all of them as they are all being "merged" into a single new document. This is unlike if you use the same option within the "insert pages" dialog, where one file is the "target" file, and so it is not affected by these rules.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks for the discussion on this; as far as I could see, the online Help facility was not helpful.

I would tend to be careful about the word "merge" in this context because of the possibility of confusing what "Merge Pages" and "Combine Files", two very different functions, can do. Although pages within document files can be selected for the Combine-Files function as you point out, Daniel, they will not be merged in the Merge-Pages sense; their single-pageness will survive combining into the new document file unlike what happens in Merge Pages where multiple pages become a single page.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

"Combine" and "merge" are interchangeable terms here, but both are highly context sensitive:
For example, if I say that I am "merging pages" it is expected that the selected pages are being merged into a single "page" entity, while keeping the other information on each page intact.
Conversely, when I say I am going to "merge documents" it is expected that the selected documents (and defined ranges) are being merged into a single "document" entity, keeping the relevant information within each document intact.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com