Feature Request: Merge PDF Window as list

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dasy2k1
User

Feature Request: Merge PDF Window as list

Post by dasy2k1 »

Hi there,
We use the Split/Merge PDF tool heavily as a component in multi step custom tools.

sometimes the files do need to be manually re-arranged to get them in the right order.
many users prefer the style of dialog that is given when you right click the files in windows explorer and select combine with PDFxchange
over the preview that is shown with the tools as its much easier to see the filenames
please can this be a view option in the merge PDF too window...

image.png
This is the window that the users prefer

but this is the only window i can give them in the tools
image(1).png
where it is necessary to hover the mouse on each page to show the filename which is real pain!

Please can we have an option to use the first list style view in the split/merge tool
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Merge PDF Window as list

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello dasy2k1,

You are using the "Split/Merge" tool - and indeed there you will have thumbnail previews - as those are much more useful when you need to rearrange pages either from the same or from multiple files.
Please try the "Convert Files to PDFs" - you can still add only PDF files if you want, and the Choose Input Files menu there would allow you to have them as a list:
image.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
dasy2k1
User

Post by dasy2k1 »

Just had a go with the convert to PDF and i cant seem to get it to do what i need... every time i tried i got multiple output documents instead of the 1 document.

use case is as follows:

I have a folder with anything from 3 to 300+ single page PDFs of drawings each are individually digitally signed ... the file names for these are well defined.
I need to create a single multi page PDF from these with all signatures and comments flattened - a watermark added and a template front sheet inserted.

Most of the time the file names mean that alphabetical order is the correct order for the combined document but there are certain classes of document where this is not the case...

the thumbnail preview is singularly useless in this use case as you could have 200 pages that look identical in the thumbnails as the drawings contain the same table template with different data in it - but the filename tells you which order they need to be in
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello dasy2k1,

Please try to set this option:
image.png
As well as specifying a custom "fixed" Filename value and your files should all be merged together in a single final document.

Kind regards,
Stefan
dasy2k1
User

Post by dasy2k1 »

ahh yes, although this then causes issues with the signatures, presumably adding an extract pages step will solve this
dasy2k1
User

Post by dasy2k1 »

Annnnd we have found a workable solution....

and it was even simpler than changing any of the tools for differnt ones....
ticking the Show extended dialog for files selecting checkbox in the choose input files tool fixed the whole problem!
image.png
image.png (15.25 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello dasy2k1,

Happy to hear that you have found your solution!

Kind regards,
Stefan