Optimizer Presets - Version 366

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Version 366 loses my personal Optimizer Presets upon restart. There are 4 of them which I have included in the attached zip file. I can restore them by importing my settings file, but that is only a temporary fix. Sometimes it may take 2 restarts for them to disappear. Cannot make it happen with the portable version using the same settings file. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Presets.zip
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Optimizer Presets - Version 366

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Arnold

I have just imported your presets and restarted about 8 times with no loss so far. Is there perhaps some specific routine you perform before they disappear that I am not capturing in my simple "open a file, run Save as optimized, close, repeat", process?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I can have the program running, open the Optimizer and all presets are there. I close the program using the close button, restart, open a file, and when I check the settings they are gone. I think sometimes they have gone missing on the 2nd restart.

I don't think this was happening with the previous version, but I am not sure. I had not used the Optimizer much for a while, but needed it quite a bit this week.

I have downloaded the installer for 364, but have not installed it in place of 366 to test. Have not tried reinstalling 366 either. This is on my Windows laptop.

Thank you
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Arnold,

You are the only one who has reported this issue, and we are unable to reproduce it here on our end.
Could there by some tools (e.g. some registry cleaner or AV software) that could be interfering with or resetting registry values for other software products?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I also ran several tests with 'Save As Optimized', changing every single option/parameter, saving, exit/restart PDF-XChange Editor.
No anomalies. All options/parameters are saved correctly and re-appear correctly.

After that, I added the four preset files (via File > Save As Optized > Settings > Manage... > Import...), applied them each, and each time with exit/restart PDF-XChange Editor.
The four preset files stay there in the Settings choice list, retaining each their own settings (specifically for the 'Image' section, because the options for the other sections, like 'Fonts', 'Discard Ojbects', 'Discard User Data', ' Cleanup', are all the same).

Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for confirming that all seems to be working correctly for you as well!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I feared something of that sort after the portable version was not affected. I have tried shutting down a few things like Malware Bytes, but that did not seem to help. Still investigating.

I also have presets for header/footers, scanners, watermarks, etc. and they do not seem to be affected. Are they stored in different parts of the registry?

Has anything changed with how this info is stored in the registry lately?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Arnold

All of our presets are stored in a relevant subkey within the main Editor key hive.
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor
To my knowledge there have not been any changes to how these are handled in some time, but seeing as you are encountering this issue with only one item, I expect that as Stefan mentioned, something is preventing us from saving these keys when the Editor is closed.

We only write to the registry while the editor is closed properly. If for example, you have an unsaved file opened, and restart your PC, the editor will not be able to proceed closing properly, because it is prompting you to save the opened file. In turn windows will force close the Editor, preventing any settings changes from being saved.

A good rule of thumb is to manually close and re-open the editor after making any large settings changes, or importing settings, so that you are certain they have been written, before you open any files for editing, or restart the PC.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I can open PDFX, use the Import Settings command and then check to make sure all presets are set. They are all there, scanner, page numbers, watermarks, optimizer, etc. I then close all files and shut down the program. When I open the program again, the only presets missing are the Optimizer ones. All other presets are intact.

I can then re-import my settings file and all settings are there including the Optimizer ones. If I then close the program, the cycle starts again. At no point do I try to close the program with an unsaved file. I am very careful about saving setting files properly, and I always test them after making any changes. I save all old versions so I can go back to them if need be.

I make sure all changes are correct and incorporated in each new settings file. This is the only way I can return to base zero if I have to adjust settings for a different project. My fear is that this might happen to really important settings like the scanner settings, and I will then have BIG problems.

It seems odd to me that all settings are stored together, but the only ones that disappear are the Optimizer ones.

Thank you
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Arnold

Understood, I have created a formal bug report regarding this issue. The dev team will be testing this to see if they can reproduce it, and if they cannot, we will get back to you here to discuss the next steps.

RT#6346: Bug: Presets not recorded to registry properly.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Daniel I just got a shock. I uninstalled 366 and installed 364 and the problem seems to be gone! I have exited and started the program a number of times and the presets are still there!

I could not try 365 because that version has disappeared from the previous versions web page.

Thank you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

Thanks for trying the older build, and for sharing your findings! I am sure this would be useful to our devs in their investigation.

Out of curiosity - can you please try to once again install build 366 and let us know if the behaviour breaks again or stays working?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I will try it. Is it possible for me to try 365 if 366 still shows the problem? For some reason it is missing on the downloads page.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

It is missing as there were some issues in it, that were corrected with 366. That's why we are not showing it for download.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Installed 366.0 and the problem returned.

Now back using 364.0 and it appears to be gone once again.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hmmm,

364 works, 366 doesn't. Did you ever manage to test 365? Not a big deal if not, I was just interested. Daniel made a ticket for this, it has a dev assigned but it is not marked as resolved so I bumped the priority on the ticket a bit.

Thanks for confirming, I am not sure but hope this will be fixed for the next release, that will ultimately be the dev team's decision.

Either way - here's wishing you a wonderful Christmas for you and those you love.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

It would be nice if it gets resolved for the next release. I am going to stick with 364.0 for now, but I had already started using a couple of things that got added after that release.

Thank you.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Merry Xmas to you and everyone at Tracker
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Is it possible that this will be fixed in the next update?
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Arnold,

Unfortunately, we can't promise you that.

Our developers are quite busy, but will do their best to fix it for the next build.

Regards.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hello Arnold,

What is your Windows version and platform (x86, x64, arm64) ? Is your machine in a Windows domain? Do you have any third-party software installed (like registry cleaners, redirectors etc)?

Thanks.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Windows 7 64 bit. It is just a stand alone laptop, It only happened after the update to 366. I went back to 364 and the problem was gone. I think I tried it on my Windows 10 desktop, but I will go try that again.

It only seems to affect the presets for the Optimizer, not the other presets. I also have presets for Watermarks, Headers & Footers, etc. I can think of no changes as regards other software I am running except for updates I may have received for those programs.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Arnold,
Looks like your issue is caused by a defect in a Windows component that the Editor uses starting from version 9.4.365.
We are going to implement a workaround for this issue in the upcoming build 367 (the release is expected next week).
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you! Before this happened I was under the illusion that I did not use the Optimizer often. Wrong!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,
Can you please check if the problem has been resolved in the recently released build 367 of the Editor? So that we could mark this topic as resolved.
Thanks.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Certainly seems to be. Thank you.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Support@pdf-xchange.com