Sessions and recent files

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Mr_M_from_G
User

Sessions and recent files

Post by Mr_M_from_G »

Hello,
I am using the free version of PDF-XChange Editor and I think it is great.
Still I would appreciate two features:
- automatically save the current session and open it again, when opening PDF-XChange Editor again. Currently it seems that only the files are opened but not connected to the session. (Is that true ?)
- a recent files list per session. Currently I see only one list. I have several sessions with many files and I would like to not have them all open at once but still be able to access them quickly. Is there already a way to do that?

Thanks

Martin
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Sessions and recent files

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Mr_M_from_G

There are two concepts of "sessions" within the software that we offer.

The most common concept of savable "Sessions" that we see discussed these days are a special case and do need to be manually managed. We do not offer, and currently do not plan to offer any automatic saving of session files, as that would muddle the concept of sessions to a point where they would not actually be useful. Also because you can open multiple session files at once, there would not be a reliable way to handle such a feature.

The other concept of sessions is a generic catch all term that nearly every application in existence understands. A "session" in this form is simply the "instance" of the application that is running, Be that a single window with a few tabs, or in our case, all windows that run under the same application "process tree" from Windows' viewpoint. This form of session is the one we allow for automatic saving/reopening of, because only a single "session" should exist at a time (unless you are forcing your system into cases where it could freeze so long windows assumes it is unresponsive and opens a second instance). This type of session can be saved and reopened with ease due to its intended use/handling. If you wish to configure the use of saved application sessions, that si done from the preferences (Ctrl_K) under the "documents" category:
image.png
Finally, the recents list. Once again, this is something that for the foreseeable future will not be changing. The purpose of the recents list is to allow you to see all files you have recently opened, circling back to the first concept of "session files" because you can open more than one at a time, preventing us from reliably saving them in any automatic way, retaining a separate "recents" list for these files would, likewise, not be possible.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com