Clipboard improvements on saving elements (stamps, shapes, etc...)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

It would be amazing if there were some optional setting that would allow your clipboard manager to also remember elements (such as a collection of elements etc.) , because as of now you can only copy it once, but it is not seen in the clipboard, so that once you copy something else, you have to go back and copy it again instead of just snatching it from the clipboard
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Clipboard improvements on saving elements (stamps, shapes, etc...)

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

This is likely a limitation of the clipboard manager itself - as it definitely remembers more than one text selection from inside the Editor.
I will check with our devs if there are any improvements that can be done in respect to other objects that you can add to the clipboard from inside the Editor.

Kind regards,
Stefan
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

text selection yes, but here I am talking about elements like, shapes, textboxes etc...
Last edited by MedBooster on Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, MedBooster

And those other elements are what Stefan said he will be discussing with the dev team, I am sure he will come back and let us know if anything come of that discussion.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello again!

We have just heard back from the team, and I have created a ticket for the topic, do note however that this is not a promise to implement, only an assurance that we will be looking into why it does not work, and trying to make an improvement.

RT#6309: FR: Make Editor content copy compatible with Windows clipboard history

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I support this suggestion.

The improved functionality of the Win 11 clipboard allows storage there of multiple saved items. As it is now, this is great to hit [Win-V] to go 'deeper' into the saved items for recovering items. If this applied to saved elements PDF-XCE's overall functionality would be improved significantly.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

PHK wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:43 pm I support this suggestion.

The improved functionality of the Win 11 clipboard allows storage there of multiple saved items. As it is now, this is great to hit [Win-V] to go 'deeper' into the saved items for recovering items. If this applied to saved elements PDF-XCE's overall functionality would be improved significantly.

I imagine it would be easier to just include a "clipboard" panel inside PDF xce itself. Just like the comments panel, just that it remembers what you copy, and that you can click on the element you need to copy again, and paste it where you'd like (without having to relocate it again)
I imagine it would be great to have a panel like this, which would remember copied elements across all documents.
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, MedBooster

While it may seem easier, keep in mind that we do not have our own clipboard functionality built in currently, all of our clip functions build off of the OS clipboard functionality itself. This is why those using third party clipboard apps sometimes run into issues if those apps try to make changes to (or "optimize") the data contained within.
Updating our functions to allow windows to retain more of the information we provide (and re-use it in the future) should be a considerably simpler task (and potentially more useful for those who copy/paste with external apps) than trying to build our own fully featured clipboard function with all the additional tidbits built in on day one.
With that said, your last point about being able to have a panel with these elements inside them does sound handy, I cannot make any promises, but I will pass that idea along just in case.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:15 pm ... we do not have our own clipboard functionality built in currently, all of our clip functions build off of the OS clipboard functionality itself...
Yes, but some save functions in PDF-XCE seem to get stored in the OS clipboard differently than others. Or, at least, they are not recoverable with [Win-V]. An example would be saving Bookmarks. When the user selects Bookmarks (not the text in a Bookmark) and saves the selection, they are 'there' in the OS clipboard for pasting elsewhere in the Bookmark tree with a [Ctrl-V]. But they are not viewable in [Win-V]. If, on the other hand, it is the text from a Bookmark that is saved, that text is stacked and viewable in [Win-V] and it doesn't have to be the latest saved item that can be pasted [Ctrl-V].
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

This is because the windows clipboard has a number of different formats which is supports (and it can hold multiple of these at once). Excel is a very good example here. when you select a group of cells and copy their content, the clipboard gets CSV, plain text, and image data all at once. Windows then offers that data to the app you are pasting into, and it chooses which set of information to use for that paste action you are about to perform. Some software, like our Editor, is able to handle most of those possibilities, and allows you to choose which you wish to use.

My understanding is that the new Win+V clipboard feature is by default restricted to only rich text and image content, so something like the encoded xml (or whatever it is we use for copy/paste of bookmarks) may not able to be retained unless it is packed in a special way. that packaging is what we are looking into to make work.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:15 pm ... that packaging is what we are looking into to make work.
Good luck!
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com