advanced search tool improvements

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

advanced search tool improvements

Post by MedBooster »

I suggest that PDFs that are "collapsed" stay collapsed when you search again in the advanced search tool panel. As of now they open back up once you do another search, be it the same search or a different one.

The point with collapsing is to not have to see documents that have much more results the way I see it. No point with this if you have to collapse all of them manually every time you do a search.

I don't think they used to open back up (from being collapsed) in previous versions. Maybe this is a bug
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: advanced search tool improvements

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

I do not recall whether this behaviour was different in the past but will check with the dev team and make a Feature Request if this is approved.

Kind regards,
Stefan
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,

A ticket has been made to improve this, it is currently low priority, but may see implementation in the future:

#6308: FR: remember collapse/expand state in search

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

In the meantime you can place documents you don't want to get searched to the right so that they get searched the last.

I would also suggest not only not remembering the collapsed/open-state of results, but maybe also prioritize searching through the opened (not collapsed) PDFs in the advanced search tool, that way you would save time basically telling PDF-xce there's no need spending time searching collapsed PDFs
or maybe you could make advanced search prioritize the opened ones, so that they search those first. After all it might still be useful for some to see the result count once the search is finished.
When I have let's say 10 PDFs open with ~10 000 pages in total, it's often I'm only interested in the results in some of them, let's say 2000 of the pages, meaning I often don't even let the search process finish (through the pages I would have liked to stay collapsed)

Sometimes you might have thousands of pages in many PDFs (each – or combined) and it would take forever to search through all of them.

Is there a way to improve the search speed? Maybe it depends on whether you only count whole words and so on?
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Jordan - Tracker Supp »

Hello MedBooster,

Thank you for the helpful suggestion. I hope it helps some other people while we wait for the ticket to be resolved.

Kind regards,
Best regards,
Jordan