PXVLib Error with my HP LJ 1536 MFP Scanner

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ironick
User

Post by ironick »

I'm getting the dreaded PXVLib error when trying to scan. I'm using PDF-Xchange Editor Plus v9.4, build 363.0. I haven't scanned anything for several months (maybe as long as a year?), but scanning used to work just fine.

I looked at the other forum posts on this error (latest one was in 2020), but they didn't seem to apply. I don't think it's a 64bit driver issue since MS Paint (which is 64bit according to the forum posts) works fine with the scanner.

I reinstalled the HP drivers using drivers dated April 2022, so I'm on the latest drivers. I'm not sure what else to try.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: PXVLib Error with my HP LJ 1536 MFP Scanner

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, ironick

Thank you for the post, my first item will be suggesting that you update the software to our latest build (364.0) and see if that helps. If it does not, I would like to know wether you are using the the TWAIN or WIA drivers for your scanner, and if you have tried using the other? In most cases, both are installed and accessible, and you can find the other by opening the scanner dropdown, most scanners will be marked as either TWAIN or WIA, and your scanner may have both available.

Please let me know if you see the other option, and if it helps!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
ironick
User

Post by ironick »

I upgraded to the lastest version, Build 364, but I get the same error. I am using the WIA driver, which is the only one offered, ie there is no TWAIN driver listed for the printer.
image.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ironick,

The next thing to check would be that you have the latest build of the drivers for that scanner.

If the issue is still there - can you please test the portable editor and see if it's scanning works:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXEd ... _NoOCR.zip
The portable is always a 32 bit version - that's why I am asking you to test with it. I am also linking the "No OCR" as it's the smaller portable copy, but we do have one with OCR as well if needed for your tests.

Kind regards,
Stefan
ironick
User

Post by ironick »

Hi Stefan,

As I mentioned in my OP, "I reinstalled the HP drivers using drivers dated April 2022, so I'm on the latest drivers."

I tried scanning with the Portable version and it worked, but in a very strange way that I've not seen before. The PDF-Xchange dialog for scanning shows all the settings drop downs as blank (which usually indicated to me that its not actually connected to the scanner drivers). But when I click on scan, it pops up the HP Scanner App for scanning, where I can choose my settings. (See attached image.) I've never seen this behavior before. Normally, when I click on scan, it just scans, ie there is no subsequent dialog window pop-up for initiating the scan process.

I suppose this is a work around for now if I can use the Portable version for scanning. However, it warns me that since I don't have a license, all the pages will be marked "DEMO". Can I use my existing PDF-Exchange license to activate the Portable version?

Thanks,

-- Nick

image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, ironick

Regarding the unavailability of the TWAIN drivers, this could indicate that you have installed "Generic" drivers from the manufacturer's website, instead of the ones dedicated to this specific device. It may be worth contacting HP support with your printer Make/Model and asking them if they have a direct link to the device specific drivers for you to use instead.

AS for the portable version, I am glad that you have found a workaround, you can certainly apply your license key to the portable, simply open the "help > license key" section, in order to begin adding the key into it there. Since this is on the same device, it will not count towards your device usage limit.

Regardless, I would like to get to the bottom of this so you do not need to use this workaround, do let me know if HP helps you to find a specialized driver to use for the device, and if that helps.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
ironick
User

Post by ironick »

Thanks, Daniel.

I'll keep digging on the TWAIN HP drivers for my printer. In the meantime, it's good to know I can use the Portable version for scanning, which I only need to do infrequently.

Best,

-- Nick

PS I'll post to this thread when I find drivers that work.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com