Sign with Docusign leads to error; HTTP status code 400

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

vincentm
User

Sign with Docusign leads to error; HTTP status code 400

Post by vincentm »

Hello,

When I want to sign a PDF using the built-in DocuSign tools of PDF Xchange editor (pro license), I get the following error.
Schermafbeelding 2022-10-27 112227.png
I found that this is an error returned by the DocuSign API: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24055116/webservice-error-400-while-using-docusign-api-in-php

I think the error might be caused by my computer/account name in Windows, which contains an em-dash (—) which is a special character. The name might be included in the recipient name (see stackoverflow for script). When I choose the option in PDF Xchange editor to create an envelope (with other recipients), I don't get such an error.

Unfortunately I can't change my computer/account name to test, but either way I think the recipient name should be filtered/escaped when calling the Docusign API.

BR,
Vincent
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Sign with Docusign leads to error; HTTP status code 400

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi vincentm,

thanks for the post, I am sorry to hear of this issue. The first thing to do is check if there is anythng blocking communications, Avtivirus or Firewall for example and test with them turned off.
If that allows the transaction then you may want to look into a rule/exception for that.

I am keen to hear if that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
vincentm
User

Post by vincentm »

Hi Paul,

Turning firewalls and any other connection (such as VPN) off does not resolve the issue, I get the same error. Similarly, when using a VPN (to bypass any local restrictions) is not successful either.

This makes sense as the error is an "invalid syntax" error.

I think you can verify the bug by hardcoding an em-dash (literally this character: —) in your script.

BR,
Vincent
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Vincent,

Can you please check and confirm if you are using the current latest build of the Editor (364)?
There were some issues with DocuSign in older builds of the Editor which should have been resolved in 364.

Kind regards,
Stefan
vincentm
User

Post by vincentm »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:12 am Hello Vincent,

Can you please check and confirm if you are using the current latest build of the Editor (364)?
There were some issues with DocuSign in older builds of the Editor which should have been resolved in 364.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

Yes, that is the build I'm using:
Schermafbeelding 2022-11-02 155315.png
(And there are no updates available when checking).

P.s. a colleague of mine does not have an long em-dash in his Microsoft name and he can use DocuSign within PDF Xchange editor (same version) without any issue.

BR,
Vincent
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, vincentm

Thank you for the additional information, can we ask what the name in your docusign profile is? The team is looking into this and wants to test ensuring as few variables as possible. We will be trying to resolve this in time for the next release.
If you do not wish to share this information on the public forums, I understand. In that case, please send it to us via email instead <support@pdf-xchange.com> with a link to this post.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
vincentm
User

Post by vincentm »

Hi,

I've just sent my details to your support desk.

As mentioned in the e-mail, my Microsoft account was recently updated to now contain a regular dash instead of the em-dash. Unfortunately, even with the em-dash removed the bug still persists so I'm not 100% sure if the em-dash is the problem. However, the em-dash could persist in some cache memory leading to the bug.

I've done some more testing:

1. If I press the "Sign with Docusign" button again after I get the error, I don't have to log in again I just instantly get the error. So the error is not in the authentication process.

2. When I sign in to another DocuSign account in PDF Xchange (linked to my personal email instead of my business email) I can use DocuSign without any issue. This leads me to think it might not have to do with my windows account name. For some reason it has to do with the account linked to my business email.

Can I turn on some kind of logging or console to identify which information is sent to DocuSign through PDF Xchange?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi vincentm,

it is possible the problem stems from your DocuSign profile name rather than the Microsoft user name. Can you check that also?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Paul - Tracker Supp

Sorry, I am just getting to checking my personal folder now, and it seems that Vincent has sent the requested information by email.

Vincent, thank you very much for sending that, I have passed it along to our Dev team for investigation, hopefully we can see a fix for this issue in the next release, but at the moment It it too soon to make a promise that we can. My apologies for the inconveneince.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
vincentm
User

Post by vincentm »

Hi,

I wanted to confirm that, with the new version/build, I no longer get a cryptic error. It now shows the actual API error code.
afbeelding.png
Unfortunately it doesn't quite solve my issue, because when I choose "Sign with DocuSign" I now get the error message that "the envelope allowance for the account has been exceeded". I do not get this message when choosing "Send with Docusign" or "Create an envelope", it will load the DocuSign environment and it will then show me I can't continue because I exceeded the "envelope allowance" (Docusign REST API Error code ENVELOPE_ALLOWANCE_EXCEEDED)
afbeelding(1).png
afbeelding(1).png (23.05 KiB) Viewed 311 times
However, my goal is mainly to self-sign document using DocuSign. I am allowed and able to do this using the DocuSign website - I don't need a license for self-signing documents, only when I want to send documents out for signing by others.
I want to use the built-in DocuSign tool within PDF Xchange for this purpose, but I still can't.

Is this a limitation in the DocuSign API which is out of your control? Then I will ask DocuSign why this limitation in the API occurs. Or is it something that you check only in the "Sign with Docusign" function and potentially can remove?

FYI, just to show that DocuSign loads when I choose "send with DocuSign":
afbeelding(2).png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, vincentm

Thank you for coming back with the new full message. Unfortunately, that message is indeed something controlled from Docusign's side, and so there is nothing we can do on our end to get around it at the moment.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com