Copying objects between pages by drag and drop does not work

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

Copying objects between pages by drag and drop does not work

Post by Jensen Head »

If you use ctrl-drag and drop objects, everything is fine as long as the destination of the copy is on the same page as the original object. However, if the user is dragging to another page, the dragging works like a moving (that is, with the original object removed):
_
PDF-XChange Editor cross pages Ctrl copying bug.gif
Last edited by Jensen Head on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Copying objects between pages by drag and drop does not work

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jensen Head,

does this happen on any document for you? It seems to be correct for me:
CTRL+Drag.gif
The example you show is hard to see. Does the text change? The bounding box can change, but that should not affect the presentation.

What am I missing?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

seems to be working fine for me too, with the typewriter tool that it seemed like you were using?
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Jensen Head,

I guess the discussion will change depending on whether the object to be copied by drag and drop while holding down the Ctrl key is a comment or a content object. If the copy target is a comment, both intra-page and inter-page copying should be possible. On the other hand, if the copy target is a content object, it should be impossible.

When looking at the mouse cursor in the captured movie, you are manipulating the content object, so it is not surprising that you could only move it.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Oh that's too bad, so you can do ctrl + drag and drop to duplicate a comment or stamp, but not images already in a PDF (not even within the same page)

also guys, you keep saying copying, but you mean duplicating right? Copying works fine...
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

First, I apologize for the confusion in the video of the first post. I was inattentive. It seemed to me that within the same page, the dragged object is copied when the ctrl button is pressed, and without ctrl is pressed, it is transferred. However, the object is moved in any case, and with pressed ctrl, without pressing ctrl, within the same page or cross-page dragging.
MedBooster wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:43 amyou keep saying copying, but you mean duplicating right?
I perceive these words in the context of the issue under discussion as identical — a complete copy of the original object is created in the specified place, the original object remains unchanged in the same place.

When you press Alt, an icon appears next to the cursor, which can be interpreted as copying (or creating a duplicate, if you like). But the dragging behavior remains the same, the objects are moved. At least the textblocks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

As Rakunavi said above - intra page dragging with the Ctrl key does create a copy of annotations the same way as when you are dragging between pages. For base content - Ctrl does not seem to work at all for me - both intra page and between different pages.

So to copy base content you need to explicitly use Ctrl + C / Ctrl + V, and can't just do it with Ctrl + Drag.

To me copy and duplicate are also almost identical but MedBooster is likely trying to use the two words separately to distinguish between Ctrl + Drag (duplicate?) and Ctrl C/Ctrl-V (copy).

Kind regards,
Stefan