Odd print results from PDFX

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

IT Guy
User

Odd print results from PDFX

Post by IT Guy »

Hi Team,

Using licensed PDFX 9.4, 9.3 and 9.0, we have reports being generated by an application called Core-GS that aren't printing correctly. The grid lines in one section are out of place.

I have tested with Adobe DC and Edge, both print correctly. Please see attached.

I'm investigating with the Team who develop Core-GS but thought it worth asking here as well.

Many thanks for any assistance.
upload.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Odd print results from PDFX

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi IT Guy,

thanks for the post and report.

My apologies, it is not clear to me whether the issue is in printing from Core-GS to our PDF Printer, or do you already have a PDF that you are printing from our Editor to a physical printer?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

Sorry, that wasn't a great description from me. The PDF is generated from the Core-GS app (not "printed to pdf" from the app), then opened in PDFXchange and printed to a physical printer.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries,

OK then, a few additional questions:

1. Is this printer specific? Does the result change when printing to different print devices, both physical or virtual? How does it look when printing to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer for example?

2. May we have the file? If it is print device independent then we should be able to reproduce the issue here with your file, then we can investigate what it happening.

If the file is too large or you prefer not to post it here in a public forum please use our file upload service. Files uploaded to there cannot be opened or downloaded by the public, only us. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/321-How-do-I-upload-a-file-to-the-Tracker-Software-File-service
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

IT Guy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:05 am Sorry, that wasn't a great description from me. The PDF is generated from the Core-GS app (not "printed to pdf" from the app), then opened in PDFXchange and printed to a physical printer.
After the Core-GS app generates the PDF file, I assume you open it in PDF-XCE. How does the document look in the app window? If OK at that stage, have you tried to Flatten the file before trying to print? The matrix grid is probably on a separate layer from the data and the misalignment problem arises in the "printing" stage. But if flattened, you are only printing one layer which would be the combined matrix grid and the data placed as it was when you flattened the file.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks PHK,

that's a great suggestion, I am a tad jealous I didn't think of that myself. ;-)

I am keen to hear the results, but I am also still keen to see the file if possible.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

:P
All best,

FringePhil
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

Thanks Team,

Flattening the image via the layers menu didn't resolve the issue unfortunately. Is this the correct method? Print to XPS worked and the document displays correctly.

I have limited options for other printers, so far results are negative. Same issue on 2 other printers.

I'll check with the team if I can send the document out. We're about to go into a long weekend so it may be a few days before I come back to you.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries, at your convenience, we will be here.

A quick test if you would - in the Editor Print dialogue is an option to "Print as Image":
image.png
Does that help at all?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

IT Guy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:05 am ...

Flattening the image via the layers menu didn't resolve the issue unfortunately. ...
Can we take it that the pages look OK when you view them in the app window and it is only when you try to print the pages that the difficulties arise?
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I am also keen to try a few other things like rasterizing the pages. But first things first, if we can see the document we will be in a much better position to comment.

It's still a long weekend for many. Looking forward to seeing the file.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:27 pm No worries, at your convenience, we will be here.

A quick test if you would - in the Editor Print dialogue is an option to "Print as Image":

image.png

Does that help at all?
Hi Paul, Thanks you, this does produce a good print but we find this method can cause issues with choking up our print queues with larger documents so would prefer not to use it.
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

PHK wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:16 am
IT Guy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:05 am ...

Flattening the image via the layers menu didn't resolve the issue unfortunately. ...
Can we take it that the pages look OK when you view them in the app window and it is only when you try to print the pages that the difficulties arise?
Correct, the document looks as expected, it's just the print that is the issue.
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:19 pm
Test HA + DCP Combo - 2021 20-09-22 1418h.pdf
(110.77 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
I am also keen to try a few other things like rasterizing the pages. But first things first, if we can see the document we will be in a much better position to comment.

It's still a long weekend for many. Looking forward to seeing the file.
File attached. I have redacted some info and tested the printing with the same result.

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, IT Guy

Thank you for sending that over. So far I have not been able to reproduce the issue. I have combed back through conversation here to catch up and notice two things that were missed.

First, on our side, you asked about flattening, adn we did not answer.
IT Guy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:05 am Flattening the image via the layers menu didn't resolve the issue unfortunately. Is this the correct method?
This would not be the correct method. flattening like this will only ensure that there are no "layers" in the document (in PDF layers do not work like other formats, here they can simply be considered "optional visibility groups", a type of toggle to show/hide certain objects in a batch, nothing more. Thus flattening layers should not help with this.
The type of flattening that should have been suggested, would be the "flatten comments" function, on the comment tab. But alas, seeing your document now, I can confirm there are no comments to be flattened, so that would not have helped here either.

Second, we asked about what printer you are using, and you replied with:
IT Guy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:05 am I have limited options for other printers, so far results are negative. Same issue on 2 other printers.
Could I ask you first to ensure that you have all the latest driver updates installed for those printers, as out of date drivers can cause issues like this. Then, following that, could you please clarify which specific printers you are using right now, what their make/model are, and provide a link to the page you downloaded the drivers from?

With this, we should hopefully be able to emulate those printers, and see if we can get some unique output the leads us to the cause.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

Thanks for the detailed response Daniel.

The printers we are using are Fuji Xerox FX ApeosPort-VII C2273's and C4473's we are using their PCL 6 driver Version 6.12.3.9. One test to a C2273 was using a Microsoft IPP class driver, I guess an MS Update installed driver?

I'm not sure of the exact page it was downloaded from as the driver was initially installed by a FX agent. Having a look on their website we are a few minor versions behind with the latest being 6.12.6.2
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello IT Guy,

Thanks for getting back to us!
Can you please try to update to this latest build (even if the version change is minor there could still be fixes that will resolve the problem) - and then let us know if that helps resolve the situation or not?

Are there any other drivers for the same printers (e.g. PS ones)? And if you print through those - is the result any different?

Kind regards,
Stefan
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

Hi All,

Apologies for the delay here, I've been working on project and haven't managed to get back to this. I'll report back asap.
IT Guy
User

Post by IT Guy »

Drivers fixed it! Crikey, something I should have checked myself.

Thanks for the help everyone
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, IT Guy

People often shy away from updating when the change is not a "big one" but it is often overlooked that the smallest updates are the most important (they are usually the updates that include the quick followup bugfixes for problems the large updates introduce! without all the fluff of new features in the way).

Anyway, I am glad to hear that the driver update resolved the issue for you!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com