save all for multiple unsaved files

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

save all for multiple unsaved files

Post by MedBooster »

let's say you open some unsaved PDFs and you would like to save them all, sometimes you can simply activate "save all" so that you can save time and not have to do "save as" on each one individually.

If you do save all and it actually works you get up a save as file explorer window for each PDF without having to click anything. which is great because you just have to press enter to save them. Instead of having to press save as for each one individually.

I hope I made it clear? I am saying that I would appreciate save all to work as a save as for all windows that aren't saved (which it sometimes seems to do and sometimes doesn't) – so maybe that's something you could try and reproduce on your side, to see if there's something that can be tweaked in the cases "save all" doesn't act as "save as"
image(1).png
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: save all for multiple unsaved files

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I think I understand what you mean, but I also think that the current way of working of the 'Save all'-command in PDF-XChange Editor is also the default behavior in most other applications.

In case of 'new' documents that have not yet been saved before there will be a 'Save as'-window that shows up.
In case of 'already existing' documents that have been modified, there will be no 'Save as'-window. Just a save operation will be executed to the same location and with the same file name.

Maybe you can explain the use-case of your question for having a 'Save All' that works like a 'Save as' for already existing documents?

Note: I guess you know there is a 'Save All' command available that you can add to the File-menu, but that will not help you any further because it works like explained here above.

Kind regards.

EDIT: After re-reading I guess I did not quite understood the question correctly. It seems like you are experiencing a problem when there is a mix of new and already existing documents. I tried to reproduce this, but for me the 'Save All'-command seems to work correctly: modifications to existing documents are saved without any question and for new documents there is the 'Save As'-window that shows up.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Many thanks for your post!

@MedBooster - so you want a "Save all as" kind of command? So irrespective of whether it is a new file or an existing document - you want to be offered a "Save As..." option for each?

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I don't quite get this question. "Save all" now saves those files that have active tabs in the active window but have not already been saved. Works fine.

Do you want, Med, PDF-XCE to also save otherwise-unsaved files that do not show in the current window? I don't like that idea. I want to have some way of knowing which files are going to be newly saved and, as the app is now, I can see the asterisks in the tab which indicates the open but unsaved files. That works for me. If there are other windows with unsaved files, I will open those windows and decide what needs to be saved.

Or am I missing something which would not be the first time...?
All best,

FringePhil
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

PHK, that's about what I mean. If you wouldn't want to save all files, then just use "save as" instead of "save all" if there are some PDFs that you opened just to have a look at, but that you wouldn't want to save to your computer.

@Willy Van Nuffel, maybe that's the reason, maybe if there's 2 documents already saved in one document (as in saved at least once) and 2 documents unsaved (as in not saved a single time) ) it may just save the two that have a designated place to be saved to (because you've already saved it once) ,

rather than opening a file explorer save as window so that you can choose where you want to save it
Wishlist
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:03 pm Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Many thanks for your post!

@MedBooster - so you want a "Save all as" kind of command? So irrespective of whether it is a new file or an existing document - you want to be offered a "Save As..." option for each?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Well we already have a "save as" and a "save all"
image.png
image(1).png
I would have liked save all to save unmodified documents as well, I guess that is what I meant :)
Wishlist
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Medbooster,
I would have liked save all to save unmodified documents as well, I guess that is what I meant :)
Not to be rude, but that's the bit I don't get. If it is unmodified there is nothing to save...

What am I missing?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:11 pm Hi Medbooster,
... If it is unmodified there is nothing to save...

What am I missing?
Paul, perhaps what you are missing, and Med please weigh-in on this, is that the date of the most recent save would be up-dated for even those previously-saved files to be consistent with the newly-saved files. I can see some merit in that.

Let's say you have 5 documents open in 5 tabs in one window. You've modified 2 of them but not the other three. You would like the dates of all 5 files to reflect that you have reviewed them all even if you have modified only 2. So this hypothetical function would save the 2 newly-modified files and save the other three but with this new date of "now." Therefore, all 5 would have very similar file dates.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

On the other hand, all one has to do to achieve the above is to make some inconsequential change in the 3 and then do a Save All.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, all

Reviewing this thread I have to say that it is highly unlikely we will off an option to forcibly save unmodified documents. If PHK's suspicion of the need here is correct, than so too is their solution, I would advise to use that method, make an inconsequential change to those files, or manually use save as. If the issue is not related to the modified date, than there should not be any need to ever re-save files which have not been changed in any way.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com