OCR Page: "There is not enough memory to successfully finish this operation"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

OCR Page: "There is not enough memory to successfully finish this operation"

Post by Jensen Head »

When trying to recognize an image with a side length of 10,000 px (web page screenshot), an error message appears:
OCR Pages:
There is not enough memory to successfully finish this operation, with the options that have been selected. Please try to select a lower 'Accuracy’ level and retry again.
Close
There is not enough memory to successfully finish this operation.png
This is strange, given that PDF-XChange Editor is a 64-bit application, and a PC running Microsoft Windows 10.0.19043.1949 x64 has 32 GB of RAM (20+ free).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: OCR Page: "There is not enough memory to successfully finish this operation"

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jensen Head,

indeed a 64 bit system should be able to use that memory.

May we see both the file and the OCR settings screen please?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jensen Head
User

Re: OCR Page: "There is not enough memory to successfully finish this operation"

Post by Jensen Head »

2022-09-17_22-01-50.png
Attachments
History.pdf
(422.41 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

Thank you for the report, Upon sharing this with the dev team, I learned that it is a known issue and one which we are working on resolving, hopefully in time for the next release.

#6242: Bug: OCR "not enough memory" error for large pages

In the meantime, you might notice that the title of the ticker says "for large pages" The issue here does appear to be caused by your page being 13540pt tall. If you split this page into smaller segments (for example landscape "legal" sheets), it processes fine on my machine with half as much memory as you report having. This could be a workaround for you until this is resolved.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Another example of the need to recognize extra-long pages with images tens of thousands of pixels high is screenshots of the history of correspondence in instant messengers that do not support export to a form convenient for archiving.
_
2022-12-24_21-11-32.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jensen Head,

thanks for this. The thread is referred to in the ticket, so I expect this to be considered.

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

When trying to recognize a document with images 9999 pixels high, the resource shortage error may not appear, just the recognition progress stops. At the same time, the PC load is minimal, and the PDF-XChange Editor process is inactive:
PDF-XChange Editor: OCR Pages...
Recognizing text on pages using OCR, please wait... (1/31)
Recognition...
Microsoft Windows 10.0.19045.2846 x64
PDF-XChange Pro x64
Intel Core i7-7700K, 32 GB DDR4.
Attachments
2023-10-06_14-37-18.png
Last edited by Jensen Head on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

Any chance you can send us a copy of the document you are using there to test with? Also, just to be sure, you are updated to build 368.0 now, correct? If not, please do update and let us know if the issue persists.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:05 pmAny chance you can send us a copy of the document you are using there to test with?
In the PDF-XChange Editor Plus 10.1.1, build 381 (Enhanced OCR), the problem, unfortunately, persists.

Microsoft Windows 10.0.19045.3516 x64
Intel Core i7-3770K, 32 GB DDR3.

Sent test .pdf to support [at] tracker-software.com.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

Thank you for sending the file, it seems that this page is ~600 inches tall. Considering that we only just increased our maximum page size from 200 to 300 inches, I expect this error is simply an incorrect representation and informing you that we cannot perform this action on a page that is larger than the bounds the Editor is compatible with. I will speak with the dev team about adding a more appropriate message, and have them look into if this is a real problem we need to consider as we continue to increase page size limits into the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:06 pmI will speak with the dev team about adding a more appropriate message
Currently, when trying to recognize a PDF document with long pages in PDF-Tools 10.2.1, build 385 (Enhanced OCR), an incorrect notification appears
There is not enough memory to finish this operation with the settings specified. Please select a lower 'Accuracy' level and try again.
In this case, the processing process does not end, but does not continue.

In this case, one very unpleasant moment occurs. I have “Input Files” / “Successfully processed files:” / “Action: Delete” installed in this tool. So, having interrupted the frozen process (batch converting images to PDF with a text layer), I did not find either the source files or the result of the merger. However, the same tool with small images works correctly, the recognized PDF document appears, and the images are deleted as expected after the tool completes successfully.

If it is impossible to recognize one or more pages of a document, it would be fine if PDF-Tools created a document in which pages exceeding the allowed size would not be recognized. Or, PDF-Tools would not delete the original images, since it is impossible to complete the task without errors. But the application should not delete the source files without saving the result in at least some form!

Create PDF from Images (eng, rus).pdtex — https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SpZIaIpOdmXtzKEfYYWHYTlEEAKBkVqJ/view
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

I managed to reproduce this issue, and yes, this is certainly a very large issue... In my test, I saw the error the moment I started the tool trying to process a folder of 256 images... 255 of them were deleted without any output, or method of recovery. For now, I will need to suggest that you do not enable the "delete after successful completion" option. Perhaps instead a "move to folder" action would eb safer, and allow you to keep a clean "processed" folder in case you need to recover some of the files.

I have informed the Dev team, as this should be a high priority item, A ticket was made as well, for tracking purposes.
RT#6803: BUG: Tools incorrectly deletes files which are not processed

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:55 pmIn the meantime, you might notice that the title of the ticker says "for large pages" The issue here does appear to be caused by your page being 13540pt tall. If you split this page into smaller segments (for example landscape "legal" sheets), it processes fine on my machine with half as much memory as you report having. This could be a workaround for you until this is resolved.
Currently I am forced to do just that.

I can counter suggest adding automatic page height checking to the application. And if it is above the permissible limit, the page in the background is cut into two (three, four - as many as necessary for each to be less than the permissible limit), then they are recognized and glued back together. As a result, the user will get visually what he needs, except for more images and incorrectly recognized letters that fall on the boundaries of temporary pages. For me personally, this would be an acceptable solution with an acceptable percentage of recognition errors.

At least I wouldn’t have to estimate the size of each of the dozens of pages, then calculate the minimum number of fragments I should cut it into, recognize it, and then glue the individual pieces together so that the cut texts are readable at least visually. Of course, I can cut the pages by manually setting the cutting line so that it falls between the lines. But this makes the work even more difficult.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

Yes, the prior workaround was only suggested as a workaround in the meantime. Not a perfect solution, just a method to get to a usable end result.
As for the request, we can take it into consideration, but I cannot promise it would be implemented at this time.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com