Can the Folder Monitor process a single file in a folder?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Bhaab
User

Can the Folder Monitor process a single file in a folder?

Post by Bhaab »

I have a folder that typically contains 5 pdf's per interaction. I need to open one file to compare values to another source, then if all is well I can close the pdf and move on to merging them all without making changes and/or saving. I set up a tool that searches the designated folder for a filename (using the Select File List option) and if it is there, it simply opens that one pdf in pdfxchange for viewing, no problems so far, acts exactly as intended.. However when I use the same tool through Folder Monitor, it opens ALL the files in the folder instead of just the one specified within the tool itself.

Is that normal for the Folder Monitor (implied by the name, i suppose) or am I missing an option in how to set it up and can it use the tool settings to only processed specified files in the folder?
0002.png
0001.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Can the Folder Monitor process a single file in a folder?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Bhaab

Unfortunately a monitor will not be able to perform this task. Monitors use the entire contents of the folder as the "choose input files" portion of the tool they are running. The input "file types" that you have set to use filter from tool, is only inheriting the rule to looks exclusively files with the PDF extension, If that was not set, the monitor may begin processing *.jpg or *.docx files as well as the *.pdf files you could have in that folder.

No matter how I try to approach it, the best solution, with the smallest amount of clicks would likely be manually viewing the folder and double clicking on the files to open them in the Editor, or if tool is performing other actions, running that tool manually via a double click, without using monitors.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hi, Bhaab,
may be you can try to create following tool. And run it from Folder Monitor.
image.png
In Parameters field change path to your file and change {yourtoolID} to your tool ID, which can be retrieved by right click your Tool and choosing Copy Tool Identifier.
Best regards,
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hello again,
we have another idea for your request.
you need to add Filter Files action to you tool.
So it will show only file that you need
here is example.
image.png
Also you can find the tool in the archive from attachment

Best regards,
FilterFileAndShow.zip
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
Bhaab
User

Post by Bhaab »

Thank you so much for the response!
i'm glad I checked in again, I'll give those a try today and see what happens.
Bhaab
User

Post by Bhaab »

Good news. it works near perfectly - i found the file filter and added it to the existing tool, and it works with the folder monitor.
One change i made though -

Adding "use Stored filenames", after the first time I processed, it didn't need to ask with a requestor again and just opened it automatically.
This just keeps getting better :D Thank you so much for the followup, very helpful indeed.

(if the tools could interface with VBA and excel, i could probably automate 90% of my job instead of 50% lol)

One curiosity though, It keeps opening it twice - as soon as I close the file, it immediately reopens. Not too bad since I can just Ctrl-W twice, but any idea what might be causing it?

Scratch that, user error on my side of the keyboard... It's working fine. It reopened because there were changes made to that file and it resaved - prompting the folder monitor to reopen it.
tool.jpg
monitor.jpg
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

That's great news Bhaab!

I am really pleased to hear this worked out.

Enjoy.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com