How to navigate huge pages in defined distance (like tiles)?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Hi

Situation:
We have huge drawings which produces large PDF sheets - up to 5000 x 5000m. We have to control the content (rather in detail) visually and that results in a lot of zooming and zooming and ...

Problem:
How to navigate through the page in a defined way - from left to right, from top to bottom in a defined distance (e.g. the current view size).?

Solution:
Every spreadsheet (e.g. Excel) has this "feature": Every "Cursor right" goes 1 cell ("unit) right, every "cursor down" goes one cell down. Defined distance, exactly orthogonal, also defined and reproducible ("go from cell A2 to cell B4")

Question:
Is there an existing way or an idea (a Java Script) or a feature request to make this possible? A calculation of width and height and an overlay with annotations? Or something else?

Thanks and best regards
Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: How to navigate huge pages in defined distance (like tiles)?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Peter2

I am afraid not, Zooming in and out is likely the best way to handle this, but PDF is not designed to be used like this, nor is there any way to force it. I would have to recommend keeping the file in the original formats which can offer these functions, instead of trying to use PDF in ways it was not designed.

On that note, I should mention, you said you are generating PDF that are 5000x5000m. PDF is generally accepted to have a limit of 14400x14400 points (roughly 5x5 meters with normal scaling), and very many applications will refuse to render items beyond those constraints, or create errors when editing content outside those limits.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:14 pm ...you are generating PDF that are 5000x5000m.
Sorry, my bad. "Only" 5000 mm ..
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:14 pm ..I would have to recommend keeping the file in the original formats which can offer these functions ...
That's not possible. It is a result of a complex data-rendering.

BTW:
The "print-function" has already a great feature for calculation and dividing great pages into smaller parts. This could be the base of navigation ...
PDF-X-Change Pro German
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

This raises some interesting questions.

I, too, work in large PDF pages, or sheets that are assemblages of multiple conventional pages. Navigating can have some issues.

I am wondering about "Tags." I don't really understand Tags and how to use them. But might these be used in someway for navigation large sheets?
All best,

FringePhil
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

I can't think of anything for the sideways jumping function either, but at least this part:
Peter2 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:38 amProblem:
How to navigate through the page in a defined way - [...] from top to bottom in a defined distance (e.g. the current view size)?
... should be doable by pressing the space bar.

Hth & Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

David.P wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:47 pm ... should be doable by pressing the space bar.
Great, thanks. Now we have already one of four directions (up, down, left, right) ;-)
PDF-X-Change Pro German
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Peter2
PHK wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:44 am am wondering about "Tags." I don't really understand Tags and how to use them. But might these be used in someway for navigation large sheets?
Tags, at least in PDF, are more of an accessibility feature, like Alternative text for images, not exactly designed as an efficient navigation method. Bookmarks would be more apt to use for rapid page section navigation, but again, would not be ideal for this situation..
Peter2 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:21 am Sorry, my bad. "Only" 5000 mm
That is a much more understandable paper size, glad to clear that up, you shouldn't have an rendering issues with that.
David.P wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:47 pm ... should be doable by pressing the space bar.
Well now I feel silly, Ive forgotten we offer a basic feature like this that even web browsers have! (That will teach me to go on a vacation in the middle of summer!). Peter is right here, the spacebar will let you scroll down a full view at a time (regardless of your zoom level).
Peter2 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:41 pm Great, thanks. Now we have already one of four directions (up, down, left, right)
For the moment, that is the best we can offer, holding shift while scrolling the mouse wheel would allow you to scroll left and right, or using the hand tool would allow you to drag and pan around the document fairly quickly, but neither option will be as efficient as zooming out and back in on the desired section in most cases.
Peter2 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:21 am BTW:
The "print-function" has already a great feature for calculation and dividing great pages into smaller parts. This could be the base of navigation ...
This would give a result not unlike using the "split pages" function to divide the document up into a number of sections (pages). It could be something that we consider for the future, but I would not get expectations up that it will be something that we might see anytime soon, hopefully at some point in the future we can see some navigation functions like this added.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:56 pmTags, at least in PDF, are more of an accessibility feature, like Alternative text for images, not exactly designed as an efficient navigation method. Bookmarks would be more apt to use for rapid page section navigation, but again, would not be ideal for this situation.
I have taken a deeper look at "Tags" and they are useless in this context. I cannot see any use for them at all in the way I use PDF-XCE and wonder why they are even a function in the default Quick Tools toolbar, I have removed the ikon from mine. There is a YouTube video illustrating the use of Tags in Adobe Acrobat in YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lYdLp7tikk) if anyone is interested.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:56 pm....For the moment, that is the best we can offer, holding shift while scrolling the mouse wheel would allow you to scroll left and right, or using the hand tool would allow you to drag and pan around the document fairly quickly, but neither option will be as efficient as zooming out and back in on the desired section in most cases...
Having a wheel-equipped mouse is almost essential. I use it, as you say Daniel, to scroll left and right with the shift key pressed and up and down with shift button. It takes a little muscle-learning but is managable and works fairly well with zooming in and out using [ctrl]-wheel. Easily shifting a whole pane-view at a time would be a welcome enhancement, however.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com