XREF Errors no longer detected

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kpeiffer
User

Post by kpeiffer »

I recently updated to PDF-XChange Pro 9.3.361.0. Since then, "XREF-table errors" are no longer detected in faulty documents. I also tried v. 9.3.360.0; it also does not detect the errors. So, currently I'm back to 9.2.359.0...

Is this an error in the recent version or was the feature removed?

I need these errors to be detected because otherwise my document management software will not accept PDFs with this type of error.

Thanks for any response.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: XREF Errors no longer detected

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello kpeiffer,

Welcome to our Forum.

May I ask you to provide us with one of the files that generate this error?

Regards.
kpeiffer
User

Post by kpeiffer »

I attach one of the PDFs which has XREF errors and is rejected by my document management system.
I also attach a screenshot taken with the currently installed PDFxchange v. 9.2.359.0.
As you see, the "INFO-bar" is pointing to possible errors and the detail pop-up shows the XREF error.

With v.9.3.xxx.x the info-bar does not show any error. I verified that "Broken Documents" is correctly ticked in the Info-Bar-Settings.
Screenshot (v.9.2.359.0)
Screenshot (v.9.2.359.0)
P29033B001-0B_I15A3010_V01_20210524.pdf
PDF with XREF Errors
(240.65 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, kpeiffer

This change was an active decision, We reworked how we handle varying severity of damages. That message should now only appear in files that are damaged enough to require immediate action, Do not worry though, our software does still see the issue, and automatically fixes it when you save the document, we just do not bother you quite as often with the warnings now, since this is only a minor case of file damage which can easily be fixed.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
kpeiffer
User

Post by kpeiffer »

Thanks for your response,

this is kind of disappointing because now I can't predetermine whether saving is necessary or not prior to passing a document to my archiving-system. So I am at constant risk that new documents can't be indexed into the search engine...

For now, my only option is to stick with 9.2.359.0 and disable future updates.
Too bad.... :( :?

Klaus

(PS: would have been nice if this was an option in the settings...)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Klaus,

we will have an internal discussion about how this is working. It won't be until next week however as we have staff away that will need to be on the discussion.

Can you leave this with us and touch base next Friday?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
kpeiffer
User

Post by kpeiffer »

Hi Paul and Tracker-Team,

that's absolutely OK with me. Currently in the downgraded condition everything is fine for me. But I would really regret to be disconnected from future updates because of this issue...

I have already been in touch with various providers of such faulty PDFs but unfortunately none of them was willing to even look into this matter. That's why I was so happy that your Software was "solving" the problem up to now...
:wink:
Regards, Klaus
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Klaus,

on discussing this with the development team leader we can to the decision that we will not revert the behaviour back to how it was because that will cause more problems for more users.

We still show that info bar for more severely damaged files but there was an overwhelming support for the current approach. Doing a save will always fix these, but we are not prompting you to let you know.

If you get a lot of these, one approach that may reduce your work load would be to use PDF-Tools and accept all new PDFs into a specific folder and set up a folder monitor to process files dropped in that folder. You could make the smallest of changes to the document properties for example, like adding a key word, then save it. This would ensure all your PDFs have that XREF issue "corrected" without you needing to do anything manually. Drop PDFs in the folder and a saved version is put elsewhere, silently, automated.

Just a thought...
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
kpeiffer
User

Post by kpeiffer »

Hello Team,

thanks for taking care and for responding on this matter. On the one hand, it's a bit disappointing but I get your point.
On the other hand, meanwhile I was able to get the faulty PDFs be accepted by my document management system with the assistance of the maker of that system.
So as per now, I can get along with your newest versions....

Thanks, Klaus :D
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

:D
francois maurice
User

Post by francois maurice »

Hello,

I also have the same problem.
However, in my case, I wrote a script that crashes if it encounters a file with this XREF table error.
So I need to know in advance, before running my script, which files are in error.
I don't have an external service to solve the problem as is the case for the user kpeiffer who started this discussion.
There is a simple and elegant solution that could satisfy everyone.
It would suffice to add a tool to PDF Tools that indicates files in a folder with errors.

Thanks considering adding such a tool.

François
Attachments
image.png
image.png (79.2 KiB) Viewed 661 times
francois maurice
User

Hi,

While waiting for the tool that would indicate the files in error :wink: , I would like to try the workaround proposed by Paul, but I don't understand it. :?

Here is the workaround:
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:36 pm If you get a lot of these, one approach that may reduce your work load would be to use PDF-Tools and accept all new PDFs into a specific folder and set up a folder monitor to process files dropped in that folder. You could make the smallest of changes to the document properties for example, like adding a key word, then save it. This would ensure all your PDFs have that XREF issue "corrected" without you needing to do anything manually. Drop PDFs in the folder and a saved version is put elsewhere, silently, automated.
Thanks,

François
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello francois maurice,

This should be a good starting point:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxt ... ool_t.html
To show you how you can create your own custom tool. You can then set up the folder monitoring:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxt ... ors_t.html
And the PDF Tools should handle the rest automatically for you.

Kind regards,
Stefan
francois maurice
User

Thanks Stefan, I'll try it.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)