Edit Text - Make Default (properties)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sqgl
User

Edit Text - Make Default (properties)

Post by sqgl »

If I click Home > Edit > Text then highlight existing text I cannot make its properties the default.
It should be possible by going to the Format menu then choosing "make default"
but this option is only given for new text, not existing text,
i.e. it is only available if I click Home > Add > Text
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Edit Text - Make Default (properties)

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello sqgl,

I just now tested this and it seems to be working just fine:

image.png
image1.png

Could you please tell me what version is your PDF Editor?

You may see this info in the PDF Editor's Help -> About menu.

Regards.
sqgl
User

Post by sqgl »

Thanks for trying but it looks like you misread my post.
I said it works for new text but not for existing text.
In both of your screen-shots I can see "text editing tools" at the top of the page
and that indicates you are adding new text.
If you click on existing text (ie pretend you want to edit it)
the title at the top says "text tools" as per my attached screen-shot
(yes these titles are named the wrong away around - another bug).
pdfx.JPG
Using v9.3
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi all,

First: Most probably the option "Edit Text Elements as Blocks" is not activated (not checked) in the dropdown-menu when you click Edit > Text. Please make sure this option is checked.

Second: when you click the first time on a text block, the block is selected and you can change its border and background color (text tools). When you click a second time, you can modify the text properties (text editing tools).

I hope this helps.

Willy
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Edit Text Elements as Blocks.png
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the tips Willy.

@sqgl

I did not misread your message. It works perfectly fine for new and existing text:

image.png

Regards.
sqgl
User

Post by sqgl »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 pm First: Most probably the option "Edit Text Elements as Blocks" is not activated (not checked) in the dropdown-menu when you click Edit > Text. Please make sure this option is checked.
Yes, this was the problem. Thanks Willy.
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 pm Second: when you click the first time on a text block, the block is selected and you can change its border and background color (text tools). When you click a second time, you can modify the text properties (text editing tools).
Indeed the first click does not give the option to change the default, only the second click does. The hint was always in the title of the page ("Text Tools" upon first click, "Text Edit Tools" upon second click).

In fact when I try redacting I also don't get the option to "make current properties default" until I actually mark some text for redaction, upon which "Style Tools" appears as a menu icon in the top row (from which "make current properties default" is accessible via a drop-down menu).

I don't see why the "make current properties default" option isn't available immediately seeing as the properties are editable immediately (via shortcut Ctrl ` which brings up the properties pane). If the properties are available to edit I feel that they should also be able to be made the default at the same time. In fact it would make sense to give the "make default" button in the properties pane.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi sqgl,

I do apologize if I am being obtuse, but I am not clear on the exact process you describe. I took a screen grab of using the Edit Tools where it for me shows different properties when the text is not clicked, it is consistent with what others have said about the properties of the text being different from the properties of the container that holds the text.
MakeDefaultOptions.gif
You said the issue was when using Redaction, but I must confess I am not clear on exactly what you are doing to get the described behaviour. May I ask for an animation of what you are doing? This is a free utility that can do so: https://getsharex.com/
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com