PDF-XChange adding weird information to filename  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

IBM738592
User

PDF-XChange adding weird information to filename

Post by IBM738592 »

Hi,

When printing from a third-party software using PDF-XChange, some weird information is added to the filename. For example, if printing a document called "document1", then the save-dialog will have the following name for the file: "<username>_document1 - PDF-XChange Editor", whereas the username is the currently logged on user. This is very strange since I can not find anything like this in the JavaScript-file titrules.js, nor can I find it in PDF-XChanges settings for Save, nor can I find it when going to printer options and reviewing PDF-XChange printing settings.

Do you guys know what has happened? This started happening last 1-2 months.

Edit: 9 Aug: I have not forgotten this thread, work is ongoing. More info will arrive, as well as solution if I find one.
Last edited by IBM738592 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange adding weird information to filename

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI IBM738592,

thanks for the post. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this. It is not a known issue, no.

The first things we need to do is establish what you are printing from and what version of our software you are printing to.

What is the application from which you are printing?
Are you running the current version of the PDF-XChange Printer? Help then about should report 9.3.361.0, if not Help then Check for Updates is probably the easiest way to get current.

The file names we use are dependent on what the printing application sends. If you send the same print job to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, do you get the same?

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
IBM738592
User

Post by IBM738592 »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:32 pm HI IBM738592,

thanks for the post. I am sorry to hear yo are experiencing this. It is not a known issue, no.

The first things we need to do is establish what you are printing from and what version of our software you are printing to.

What is the application from which you are printing?
Are you running the current version of the PDF-XChange Printer? Help then about should report 9.3.361.0, if not Help then Check for Updates is probably the easiest way to get current.

The file names we use are dependent on what the printing application sends. If you send the same print job to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, do you get the same?

cheers
Hi,

Thank you very much for your quick reply in this matter. The only application with this issue is: SAP. When printing from SAP using PDF-XChange, all this additional info is added. It has not been so in the past. We are currently running 9.3.361.0.

We tried to change default printer to Microsoft XPS Document Writer and then repeated the exact same process. The save-dialogue then had an empty filename. I changed again to Microsoft Save to PDF and again, the filename was empty.

I have just edited titrules.js and made an entry for saplogon.exe (just to try) but it did not make a difference.

Since only SAP is doing this, can we conclude 100% that it is something in SAP that is adding this additional information?

Kind regards
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the details.
Since only SAP is doing this, can we conclude 100% that it is something in SAP that is adding this additional information?
It sure sounds like it. SAP is Browser based though, is it not? The sending application would be a web browser would it not?

You are on the right track with titrules.js. When the printing application sends the print job it does not include the file name. Printing to paper had no use for it and it simply isn't used. What we have to work with is the "Job Name". This is why titrules exists, we use it to make an educated guess as to what the file name should be, as you point out in your original post.

The simplest thing to do here would be for you to grab the printer temp files from one such job asnd either send it to us or take a look yourself, it should have all the information about what is in the Job Name so we can see how to modify titrules to extract the right information to use for the file name - without the extraneous parts.

This KB details how to get a printer temp file. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/271-Tracker-Software-has-asked-me-to-create-a-tmp-file-in-order-to-assist-in-resolving-an-issue-How-do-I-do-this Take a look in it or send it to us and we will mod titrules.js for you.

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
IBM738592
User

Re: PDF-XChange adding weird information to filename  SOLVED

Post by IBM738592 »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:20 pm Thanks for the details.
It sure sounds like it. SAP is Browser based though, is it not? The sending application would be a web browser would it not?

You are on the right track with titrules.js. When the printing application sends the print job it does not include the file name. Printing to paper had no use for it and it simply isn't used. What we have to work with is the "Job Name". This is why titrules exists, we use it to make an educated guess as to what the file name should be, as you point out in your original post.

The simplest thing to do here would be for you to grab the printer temp files from one such job asnd either send it to us or take a look yourself, it should have all the information about what is in the Job Name so we can see how to modify titrules to extract the right information to use for the file name - without the extraneous parts.

This KB details how to get a printer temp file. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/271-Tracker-Software-has-asked-me-to-create-a-tmp-file-in-order-to-assist-in-resolving-an-issue-How-do-I-do-this Take a look in it or send it to us and we will mod titrules.js for you.

cheers
Hi,

TLDR: This is what OP was searching for:

I want to thank Tracker Software and its support team for delivering A+ customer service. I received very quick help, and when sending e-mails I also received clear instructions and assistance. As I have previously written, the problem was that when printing from an application, the filename added info that had not been there before. This info was the name of the account currently logged into Windows, so "Document1" received an automatic filename such as "USER12345_Document1". I reviewed printing settings, Windows settings, the PDF-XChange-specific titrules.js (Found in install directory) and also took help from the responsible party of the application as well. I have been working on this for weeks without progressing an inch.

... Then today, we found this toggle, shown in the image above. When checking that, the filename "issue" was solved perfectly... Such a simple thing. This is nobodies fault of course, there is nothing wrong, it was just a brainfart by myself for not reviewing the most obvious settings. I did believe I had already tried this toggle without success, but I must be mistaken.

This thread can be marked as solved (if I can not do it myself), and once again I really praise you guys for your quality of service. Thank you.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

PDF-XChange adding weird information to filename

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

:)