(Default) folder in start menu after deployment

Support for network administrators. for software deployment and management through Active Directory Group Policies.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MaartenVR87
User

(Default) folder in start menu after deployment

Post by MaartenVR87 »

Hello all,

We are installing PDF XChange Pro through SCCM/Software Center.
I am not entirely sure how long this has been going on but with current and past version, we are seeing a (Default) folder in the start menu which has the uninstall for PDF XChange pro. We also see the usual "Tracker Software" folder which has all the other shortcuts.

We download the MSI from the tracker website. We add a MST file which has the key and all other info we want to add/remove.
If we use SCCM to install this we get the folder. SCCM uses the system account to install programs. When we run the exact same command in CMD under a admin account, the folder is not made.
image.png
image(1).png
Is there a way to remove the creation of this folder alltogether?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: (Default) folder in start menu after deployment

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi MaartenVR87,

If I understand you correctly the exact same command when used in SCCM produces the Start Menu folder but does not when run locally in an Administrative Command Prompt.

May we see the command used please?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
MaartenVR87
User

Post by MaartenVR87 »

This is the command used in SCCM/CMD:

msiexec /i "ProV9.x64.msi" TRANSFORMS=KragtenConfigNEW1.mst /q REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

The only difference is that SCCM uses the "SYSTEM" user and CMD uses the local admin user.
For some reason on SCCM, the default folder is created alongside the usual tracker folder in start menu.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hmmm,

I will admit this is the first time I've seen this reported. May we have your transform file to test here?

In order to keep it off these public forums, please email it to support@pdf-xchange.com with Attention Paul and RE: viewtopic.php?t=38994

I would like to see if that is reproducible.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Maarten,

I really have to apologize. As I started testing your MST file I reread the thread and realized I had missed this question of yours:
Is there a way to remove the creation of this folder alltogether?
I see in your transform you did not modify PROGRAMSMENU_SHORTCUTS. That is the one to manage the Start Menu items. Simply changing that to a 0 should prevent all Start Menu items. I tested it at the command line, I don't have SCCM avaiulable right now, but can test via a Group Policy assignment if needed as I expect that to work the same way as SCCM.
image1.png
Let me know if that gives you what you are looking for?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MaartenVR87
User

Post by MaartenVR87 »

Wouldn't this also remove the "Tracker" folder with all the other shortcuts?
The only thing we want to remove is the folder named "Default" which contains the uninstaller from tracker.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

It would, yes. Sorry - I misread your need and thought you wanted that.

I can't see any obvious reason SCCM would result in a different set of menus if it is using the same command line argument and transform, but I also do not have a deep deep knowledge of SCCM under the hood.

At the command line for your tests you can add /lvx!* \\IUNC\path\to\logfile.log Can you pass that same option to SCCM and log that install? I am thinking that there may be something helpful in the differences between the two install logs that may point us in the right direction.

Please email them to support@pdf-xchange.com rather than post them publicly here. Please include a link to this thread in the email so we may cross reference them accordingly.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke