PDF reported corrupt by Amazon

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Hello,

I have written a book using LaTeX. After the PDF is produced, I need to manually edit to fix a couple of defects which arise from the LaTeX template. When I upload to Amazon, they report the PDF is corrupt. It appears to be fine in Adobe Reader, in Sumatra PDF, and of course in PDF-Xchange. And earlier versions uploaded to Amazon worked fine. Enough that 66 books were produced.

Now they tell me to use Print to PDF, but that alters the page size from the 7.5x9.25 of my PDF to 8.5x11. And then, of course, Amazon previewer shows text outside the trim margins.

I am desperate to find a workable solution to this mess. What can you suggest?

William Meyer
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF reported corrupt by Amazon

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi wmeyer48,

is the PDF that is being rejected unmodified after production by LaTeX or is it that this version was acceptable and that making changes in the Editor "broke" it?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

That is part of what I am trying to discover. The folks at Amazon appear to know nothing, and just tell me to use Print to PDF. The MS Print to PDF is unusable, as it changes the page size. BullZip allows me to set a proper trim size, but by default rotates the page 90 degrees. When I found the setting to make it not do that, it produced a file which Amazon reports could not be processed.

I have asked them to copy the PDF back to me, as I am suspicious that this could be errors in transmission. And so far, nothing. So I am trying one thing at a time, by guesswork, and hoping to see something work.

At bare minimum I need to remove two blank pages at the head, which I can do with PDF Merger & Splitter, and that doesn't seem to create issues with Amazon. But there are a couple of other minor details I would like to edit, and though it worked for me a few days ago, now it seems to provoke failure at their end.

I uploaded a new one after only removing the two blank pages. The did not complain in the processing, but unfortunately, they may still have an issue later in the workflow. I have now taken that file and used PDF-Xchange to make a single text edit, simply removing a bit of text. I will upload it and do the other steps, then wait as long as it takes them to either complain or show the book available again.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Interesting,

It is unfortunate that they cannot give you more specific detail as to why they are rejecting it.

So at this juncture we are basically waiting to see if it is rejected again?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Yes, I see no alternative. They are utterly useless with their feedback, and even worse with the recommended steps, which seem to assume we all compose in Word.
Nothing is highlighted in red except the message asking me to fix the highlighted items..
So at the bottom, I click Save and Continue, and get the "we're sorry" message:
Attachments
image.png
image.png (15.08 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
image.png
image.png (4.38 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

And a catch-22: I can't initiate the publication step until they take the book off hold. They do that if/when the manuscript is found to be free from "corruption", but then as far as I know, it still awaits my click to publish.
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Additional datapoints:

In the book as it comes from LaTeX, there is an entry in the table of contents which should not be there.
On the second page of the Preface, the page heading is incorrect, and comes from the preceding List of Tables.

I have guessed, lacking specific feedback, that removing a TOC item may be an issue, as it would result in one half of a navigation link being absent. So I tried changing its color, instead, making the font white.

In the Preface page heading, I manually edited the text.

There are also two blank pages at the front of the manuscript which I remove.

All changes are done with PDF-Xchange.

This approach produced a PDF which Amazon's incoming processor said had errors.

Instead, I have uploaded a version in which the TOC item mentioned has been removed, and the other changes remain the same.

Their incoming processor accepted that one.

See image for the TOC entry in question.Image
Attachments
TOC annotated.PNG
DiveShallow
User

Post by DiveShallow »

I would suggest:

• making sure none of the latex code conflicts with the document name or an image in the document, etc.
e.g. → {word123} word123.jpg word123.pdf

• run the latex through an automated error checker (or two) such as chktex.

• Search the web for solutions to: Clean Special Characters from Text
e.g. → not exactly what I'm talking about, but the equivalent of the code containing a | instead of l

The PDF software is ignoring the rendering error, but Amazon is parsing the document with code that is upset by a digital aberrant stop codon.
D.S.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Bill,

while I am pleased to hear your document was accepted, I am keen to see if we can avoid this in future. Is there any chance you cans end us the two documents? The one that was accepted and the one that was rejected that we may compare?

I would also be keen to know if either of the two options the PDF-XChange Editor offer to "clean up" a document help.
We have the "Save as Optimized: feature and also "Sanitize Documents" . Can you test those for upload or is it too late now?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

DiveShallow,

I appreciate the suggestions, but the differences between the rejected and the previously accepted were trivial. In particular, no changes of the sort you mention. Rather, things like inserting a space after a comma, and similar.

As of now, Amazon have opened a case, and I hope will be in communication within the next couple of days. Based on other hints I have found online, I suspect that saving as a PDF/X-1a may be a solution, though they are non-specific in their instructions.

Bill Meyer
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Bill,

well PDF/A is an archiving standard, one would hope that accept that...

Looking forward to hearing the results of this.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Another fail. They appear to assume that all books are written in Word. The instructions, therefore, are "Print to PDF." Can you tell me, or can I find somewhere with PDX-Xchange, the specific correspondence of such a file to a particular output selection from Save Sa in PDF-Xchange?

Having to rely on guesswork, I have tried three slightly different versions, one PDF/X-1a, one PDF/X-4, and one straight save from PDF-Xchange after a minor text change. All three were rejected at incoming level.

Then I tried using PDF Merger and Splitter, from AnywareSoft, and that PDF has made it past the incoming processor. Remains to be seen, hours or days later, whether it will make it past their pre-print processor.

Can I provide you with my raw PDF and a copy modified by PDF Merger and Splitter, for diagnostic purposes?
Last edited by wmeyer48 on Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Are you asking how top Save As a PDF/A?

Go to File then Save As and in there select PDF/A as the "Save As Type":
image.png
then you have options as to which version to use:
image1.png
I would be very interested in knowing if doing a "Save As Optimized" gives a better response from them.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

I know how to save as type. What I am wondering, since they seem to see Word's Print to PDF as a gold standard, is what that translates to in recognizable standards, if any. Adobe identifies it as Acrobat 1.7, which also helps me not.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I really don't know why they are insisting on a Print to PDF from Word.

As an exercise in futility, do you want to export your PDF to Word using the Editor, then Print to PDF and see if they accept that? It would honestly drive me stark raving bonkers if they did accept that and not the LaTeX + PDF-XChange "version".

We just released our "Compare Documents" feature - I would be very interested in seeing what differences there are between what you have now and what Word would produce.

I am also still keen to know if doing a "Save As Optimized" produces an "acceptable" PDF.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Since my document is produced in LaTeX with a format which is utterly foreign to Word, I don't think it will be productive.

However, I will see what I can find comparing the one it accepted with one it rejected.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I am definitely keen to compare those two, the accepted and rejected!

If you don't want the document to be publicly available via the forums yo are welcome to email to to me directly using paul@tracker-software.com if you like.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Emailed to you. And the differences are very few.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks wmeyer48,

I have these, and indeed it is reporting very little difference. I would like to have one of the devs take a look.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Paul,

Anything you can do would be appreciated. I am finally getting a bit more than "print to PDF" out of the KDP folks. There may be hope.

Is there a tool which can look at a PDF and report to me all the details of version, option, and whatnot, in the context of the PDF standards?

Thanks,

Bill
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Bill,

There are many tools that can give you a lot of information about the internal structure of a PDF file - but really we will need to know exactly what KDP does not like in the files you submit so that we can check further, as there are literally thousands of things in a PDF file, and just guessing what it might be they do not like is not really pragmatic.

Kind regards,
Stefan
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Stefan,

Yes, I realize we need more. The difficulty is that the people who are responding to me appear to be entirely non-technical, and in that description I am being as kind as possible. Consider that they assume I am using MS Word, and they tell me to "print to PDF." Add to that, there is no reference I have found in any of their instructional materials to any specific PDF format.

What a way to run a publishing operation!

I tried PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-4, and both were rejected, without explanation. On upload, they enter into "processing the file", and it is very easy to fail at that level, but if they announce success, it may still be declared "corrupt" when they later process for printing. And again, no specifics.

Thanks,

Bill
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, wmeyer48

This may seem counter-intuitive, but some publishers I have helped clients with will reject files based on nothing more than then creating software, so if it was not created by, for example, "MS Word-export 2017" or something of the like, it would immediately fail despite the file being perfect in all other respects.

Unfortunately, we have no real control over their process for accepting these, all I can do is assure you that the version of the file we have created should be perfectly fine so far as the PDF specification is concerned, so you may need to "play to their tune" in this instance and utilize the word conversion method despite the many easier options you should have.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Thanks, Daniel.

I have so far made the point with them that their specification of "PDF" is void of technical meaning. They have not rejected that, and I am, supposedly, to hear from someone who may have some technical awareness.

I realize you cannot affect how they operate. My hope is merely that you may be able to point to something in the files, some difference, that could point me in the right direction.

The path through Word is simply not possible. I have tried exporting my PDF to Word, and the output is beyond embarrassing. Do "play to their tune" would mean a complete reformatting of the book into Word, and that would make it necessary to substantially alter layout. No, if it comes to that, I will drop Amazon, update to a second edition, and a new ISBN, and use another publisher.

My workflow was sufficient for them to publish a month ago, and to produce 66 books. Suddenly, it rejects most files I try to upload.

Thanks for your observations,

Bill
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, wmeyer48

Well, if anything new comes to light with the Dev team's investigation of the files, we will be sure to let you know right away. until then, hopefully they realize some error in the system on their end which has changed recently, and allow you to publish as you have been so far.

Best of luck!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Am soon to try once more with Amazon KDP. I used Lulu for diagnostics -- they have done a creditable job of identifying things which need to be addressed. With their help, I am now using PDF/X-3, and reprocessed a number of image files which were below 200ppi in my pdf.

If only the KDP upload file check were as helpful!
Last edited by wmeyer48 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)

We are waiting with baited breath for the next upload results...
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

No reply yet from Amazon, but I have a file I would like to send. It's large (61MB) and compares my PDF saved by PDF-XChange as PDF/X-1a with the same file saved by Acrobat Pro in the same format. These are both candidates for Amazon, but I am quite puzzled at some of what is reported. Where could I send it?

Bill
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Bill,

you may upload the files to our file service as detailed here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/321-How-do-I-upload-a-file-to-the-Tracker-Software-File-service

Please name them something eponymous and let us know the file names so that we may associate it with this topic.

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Filename: wmeyer48-[Compare result] DelphiLegacy-k11-1a.pdf

If you would like the two files which were compared, I will be happy to provide those, as well.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Lets start with what we have. Thanks for sending that.

What specifically in there do you want explanation on?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Want may be too strong a term. :lol:

I see places where it reports a font size was changed, and I see no visible difference. Or characters deleted, and still present. As I am not accustomed to trying to analyze PDF files, it is all confusing to me.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

It should show you with a highlight on the page when you click the difference in the list on the right:
DocumentComparison.gif
It's hard to say without the original documents, I would not expect the visual changes to be the cause of the rejection however, I suspect it is related to something internal to the file that is not showing up in the compare documents.

I wonder if your contact at Amazon would be interested in reaching out us or taking an email from me? I am keen to determine what the root cause of the rejection is.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

A core problem is that as yet I have no contact at Amazon. Just emails from drones with no knowledge who suggest "print to PDF."

I understand the mantra -- no transparency, no layers, and all text reduced to independent character objects. But surely a standard PDF variant should serve?

If you wish to compare the two originals, I can upload them. I am willing to provide what I can to enable you to -- hopefully -- be able to suggest how your product(s) can deliver a file which will satisfy their requirements.

Bill
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Bill,

If the files are small enough and will go through e-mail - you can send those to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this topic.
Or if they are larger - you can upload them to our file service:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... le-service
And we will then be happy to take a look!

Kind regards,
Stefan
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Hi Stefan,

Not small files, but uploaded to your user uploads. Both filenames begin with wmeyer48. The one which has pdfx in the name just before the extension was converted with PDF-Xchange. The one with DC in the name was converted with Acrobat Pro DC.

As the PDF-Xchange file compare shows, there are many minor differences. No idea how significant they may be, nor which of these -- if either -- would make it through KDP's processing. I can't upload to them just now, as they are supposedly investigating issues with the last upload, and until I get a response from them, I don't want to add confusion to the process.

Thanks,

Bill
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Bill,

we have the files. I took a look. To do any kind of investigation into the internals of the PDF it may need to go in a queue for one of the devs so I can't promise an answer today I'm afraid.

What I did however was to take the PDFX version and "Save as Optimized" then compared the optimized with the one it came from. It shows zero changes, yet has been reduced to less than a third it's size.

I used just the default settings, which does reasonable compression on images as well as taking out any superfluous information internally. My suggestion would be for you to try this and carefully check through the document to ensure it is up to snuff and once they get back to you on the current issue (good call not confusing them...) I would definitely test uploading the "Optimized" version. It may just be the panacea you are looking fore if it produces an acceptable AND significantly smaller file.

Just a thought...
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Paul,

Thanks. Historically, my use of PDF tools has been pretty superficial. I am now learning more of the details of PDF than I had feared in my worst nightmares!

The fundamental problem, of course, is that KDP "specifies" in terms of MS Word and Print to PDF.

If I can reach the point of KDP contacting me with specifics, I will try to get them to tell me in technical terms how to ensure I meet their requirements.

And if they continue to be silent, I will transfer to Lulu as my publisher. Given that in two weeks, I sold 66 copies on Amazon, I am not keen to just drop them. But that may be poor judgment on my part.

Bill
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, wmeyer48

I noticed that its been a while since there was communication here. Paul is out today and I still have not heard anything from the Dev team on this. I expect that it may be a tough situation for us to make allowanced in, and is likely to be something more long term if it can be resolved from our end at all.

I hope that amazon is able to offer your some more information at some point, or give their own advice about why they are rejecting these, so you can adapt your files.

In the meantime, have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

Hello Daniel,

The silence has been due to waiting for a response from KDP technical support. It arrived, and was again entirely non-technical.

I uploaded to them a new PDF yesterday in PDF/X-1a format. It passed their incoming processor, and their previewer identified no issues. It remains now for them to notice the new file, prep for print, and remove the ON HOLD status from my bookshelf.

Nothing happens quickly over there, I have learned.

I appreciate your support. If they reject this file, now that I have wasted a month, I will remove the book from KDP and prep for Lulu.

Thanks,

Bill
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, wmeyer48

Best of luck with their process then, I hope you are not left waiting too long!

Have a great day!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

The last file I uploaded was in PDF/X-1a form, converted in PDF-XCHANGE. Finally this morning, they took me off hold, and I was able to complete the steps to submit for publication. After being out of print for a month. Some kind of miracle.

Bill
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Woot! Woot!

so the key was PDF/X-1a?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
wmeyer48
User

Post by wmeyer48 »

So it seems. Or at least, PDF/X-1a sufficiently lobotomizes the content to fit their standards. And to add to the confusion, I did earlier upload a similarly formatted PDF, and it was rejected.

Still no meaningful communication from them.

Bill
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke