Using License Key for Access VBA ActiveX control

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mgrauman
User

Using License Key for Access VBA ActiveX control

Post by mgrauman »

Just wanted to point out a "bug" I found, with a workaround.

I am using the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control in an MS Access form, and was having some trouble to get the license entered in such a way that it would remove the "demo" watermarks.

It turns out that if the ActiveX control on your form is in a hidden state (i.e. control.Visible=False), it will error if you try to feed it the registration key. What's more, if you hide it after feeding it the registration key, the next time you make it visible, it will have lost the registration info and you will have to send the string again to it.

So if you like to keep the control hidden until it is ready to be used, the following code shows a sample of what would need to be done:

Code: Select all

Dim sLicense as String, sFile as String
sLicense = " -- complete registration key goes here -- "
sFile = "X:\Folder\Filename.PDF"

' PDFX is the name of the control on the form
PDFX.Visible = True
PDFX.SetDevInfo sLicense, ""
PDFX.src = sFile
' additional commands ...
Hope this helps. As crazy as it sounds it took me hours to figure this out, since I couldn't imagine that hiding the control would make it lose the registration. Maybe this could be adjusted so a hidden control could accept and remember the registration rather than throwing an error?

Regards,

Michael
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Using License Key for Access VBA ActiveX control

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the post. I believe you also e-mailed us last night!
I've passed your findings to our devs for further investigation, and as per your e-mail and post - the workaround for the time being is to apply the license every time you make it visible.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

We no longer develop the Viewer ActiveX.

Perhaps consider the Editor SDK?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
mgrauman
User

Post by mgrauman »

Paul:

I will admit to being very confused by your software offerings. When I do a Google search for "tracker editor sdk" it comes up with this link:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor-sdk

This appears to be the software you are referring to. It mentions on that page that like all the rest of your SDKs it too is deprecated. Plus, when I use the drop-down on your website under "Products", it is not even listed among the other choices (see below).

We purchased the PDF-Xchange Viewer ActiveX SDK just a few months ago after having met the strict criteria these SDK web pages refer to. Again, I will admit to not having a lot of experience with SDKs, but if I need a control embedded on an Access form, would I not need an ActiveX control? I do not know any other way to do so. If you think that this other product would work better, please let me know how.

Finally, I was assured when purchasing the SDK that it would be supported to the extent that bugs would be fixed, but not feature requests. If you do not consider what I found a bug, that is your decision, and I can live with it since I found a way around the issue. I was posting here in the first place because I sent an email to my original contact from Tracker regarding this issue, and he suggested I should post it here. If nothing else, it may help someone else in my situation who needs the workaround.

Regards,

Michael
Attachments
image.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Michael,

thanks for the understanding and good will. It definitely is good to share the experience.

Yes the devs consider this not a bug and it won't be changed in the Viewer SDK, you should definitely continue with your work around. It would require significant work to refactor your code to use the Editor, so I can appreciate your reluctance to move when the work around, well, works.

sorry if I caused any consternation.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com