Radio or check box?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Radio or check box?

Post by MedBooster »

What is the difference between these two? It seems like a radio button can not be unselected, so you can only choose once?
image.png
image(1).png
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
MedBooster
User

Re: Radio or check box?

Post by MedBooster »

and is there any other point with the radio button except using it like a check box? I am confused as to what it is there for.

image.png
I checked out the manual, but maybe someone here has any other usecases to suggest?

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxt9/index.html?edit-documents_ed.html

also, is it possible to make the check box look different? Make it round for example?
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

Hello Med Booster,

The logic behind Radio Buttons and Checkboxes is different.

E.g. you may have a form where you are asked to select
Soup
Main
Dessert

There would be a "checkbox" in front of each - allowing you to state whether you want that specific course of the meal.
Then you can have radio button options say e.g.
- vegetable soup
- chicken soup
- minestrone

Say the menu is a 'fixed price' one and you are only allowed to select one soup.
In that case you will have checkboxes for the options that you can select at the same time, and Radio button group for those three types of soups from which only one can be selected.

If you use a single "Radio button" it does not make much sense indeed!

Kind regards,
Stefan
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Yes, thank you for the explanation!
image.png
How do you change which ones are grouped together or add new radio buttons to a group?
Can you do that by selecting them with the field selection tool? Or do you have to change each "field name" individually?
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MedBooster,

On your screenshot on the right you have "Group 1" for the 'Field Name' if you change that to say "Group 2" for one of the radio options - it will be come part of that other group.

You can also open the Fields pane to see a structured layout of your form with all it's fields and widgets.

Kind regards,
Stefan
cwphc
User

Post by cwphc »

Hallo, ich habe ein Formular mit mehreren check boxen. Ich möchte die Seite duplizieren. Wenn ich aber zum Beispiel check box 1 anklicke, dann ist auch auf der duplizierten Seite das Häkchen gesetzt. Was kann ich machen, damit die check boxen beim Duplizieren automatisch einen anderen Feldnamen erhalten?

Hello, I have a form with several check boxes. I want to duplicate the page. But if I click on check box 1, for example, then the tick is also set on the duplicated page. What can I do so that the check boxes automatically get a different field name when duplicating?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello cwphc,

The PDF specification speaks of Form Fields and Widgets.
So a form field is unique, but you can have several widgets of the same field in the same document.
E.g. you want to have a field at the top fight corner of a form that states the person's name. You want that same name repeated on each page of the file - you then make one field with widgets of it on each page of your document. So when any of the widgets for the field is updated - all the others update as well.

If you need to create a two page document and have identical layout but want to have those as separate fields - the easiest and quickest way to do it for a whole page full of fields would be to save a copy of the page/file under a different file name, and then select to "insert Pages" and select to "Copy with Rename" any form fields from the pages you are inserting:
image.png
That way the Editor will quickly rename your duplicating form fields and make the ones on the second page unique.

Kind regards,
Stefan
cwphc
User

Post by cwphc »

SUPER !!! Das klappt. :D
Vielen lieben Dank für die schnelle Lösung!

Gruß
Cori
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Radio or check box?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com