Persistent Page Number  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

shade-cabin-hammock
User

Persistent Page Number

Post by shade-cabin-hammock »

Hi,

In PDF-X, I know we can add the page number to documents via headers.

Once I've got a document going, I'll frequently need to insert a new page or two later on.

Among PDF-X's tools, is there any way to set a PDF-x originated page number such that they will auto-update? So that, If I add a page between 2 and 3 that new page would become 3 and the successive page numbers would incrementally increase automatically.

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Persistent Page Number  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello shade-cabin-hammock,

This is not possible, because PDF files are different from e.g. Word Documents.
In PDF files you have the content of each page as independent from the content of other pages. There is no 'flowing' text that is then just fit on as many pages as needed as happens with Word files.

So when you add page numbers - those become 'fixed' element of each individual page, and are not dynamically linked to any other pages or the numbers on them.

If you are the only one adding page numbers - you could possible add the new page numbers on top of the existing ones and even run a redaction tool first to remove the original if you want.

However the best practice would be to just only add the page numbers once the document has been finalized and no further changes are expected to it. Or keep a working copy without the page numbers, and only add the numbering to copies that are e.g. sent out for review.

Kind regards,
Stefan
shade-cabin-hammock
User

Re: Persistent Page Number

Post by shade-cabin-hammock »

Hi Stefan,

Got it! Thanks! :)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Persistent Page Number

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)