Issue when creating a bookmark item with no Actions in jpdfbookmarks  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

Issue when creating a bookmark item with no Actions in jpdfbookmarks

Post by rakunavi »

=== UPDATE ===================================================================
The issue reported below has been resolved in Ver 9.5 build 365.
I appreciate all the hard work and efforts of the support and development team.
==============================================================================

Hello all,

jpdfbookmarks is a PDF bookmarks editor that is no longer under development, but it is still very popular due to its free and multi-platform support(Windows, Linux and Mac OS).

• https://sourceforge.net/projects/jpdfbookmarks/
I have been using it for a long time. Since PDF-XChange Editor has a color issue when generating a table of contents from a text file, as reported in the following topic, jpdfbookmarks continues to be a tool I cannot do without.

• The standard color of bookmark titles cannot be restored when the dark theme is applied.
    https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?p=158709
When reading from a text file, it is the same in jpdfbookmarks and PDF-XChange Editor to write each bookmark corresponding to one line and the next items on one line.

• Tabs according to bookmark level
  • Bookmark item name
  • Separator ("/" in jpdfbookmarks, ";" in PDF-XChange Editor)
  • Page number
  • Option
I often use bookmarks without page numbers associated with them, i.e., without setting "Actions". In that case, in the text format described above, I simply write the item name and omit everything after the separator. In both jpdfbookmarks and PDF-XChange Editor, generating bookmarks from a text file written in above way results in bookmarks that contains items with no Actions.

So here goes the main part. Even if I select an item in the Bookmarks pane of the PDF-XChange Editor for which this Actions is not set, and open the right-click menu and execute Set Destinations, I cannot change the destination if the original is a PDF file generated by jpdfbookmarks. When I try to set the destination by changing the Actions from the bookmark properties, the setting is not reflected. If the original is a PDF file generated by PDF-XChange Editor, the destination can be changed successfully.

This is probably because the format of the bookmark portion that jpdfbookmarks generates is different from the format expected by the PDF-XChange Editor. However, Adobe Acrobat allows the same operation to change the destination, so the file should be written in a format that is at least as common as Acrobat can handle.

A verification video and a sample PDF file generated by jpdfbookmarks including bookmarks with no Actions are attached for reference.

In addition, the following text is imported into jpdfbookmarks to generate bookmarks.

Code: Select all

DUMMY ITEM (Actions not set)
	Apple (Page 1)/1,Black,notBold,notItalic,open,FitPage
	Orange (Page 2)/2,Black,notBold,notItalic,open,FitPage
	Lemon (Page 3)/3,Black,notBold,notItalic,open,FitPage
DUMMY ITEM (Actions not set)
	Grape (Page 4)/4,Black,notBold,notItalic,open,FitPage
	Melon (Page 5)/5,Black,notBold,notItalic,open,FitPage
	Banana (Page 6)/6,Black,notBold,notItalic,open,FitPage
In the video, I prepare a PDF file consisting of 7 pages, and I try to set the 7th page as the destination for a bookmark item for which Actions has not been set. It does not work with PDF-XChange Editor, but works fine with Acrobat X.

When I find a feature that Acrobat supports and PDF-XChange Editor does not, I am tempted to sneak it to Tracker. Conversely, when I find a feature that PDF-XChange supports but Acrobat does not, I do nothing. This is because PDF-XChange Editor has too many itchy features. In addition, I cannot help, even if only slightly, improve rival software. :D

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version:9.3 build 361.0
- OS Version: Windows 10 Home/Pro 21H2 Build 19044.1706
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL / HP ProDesk 600G1
Last edited by rakunavi on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Issue when creating a bookmark item with no Actions in jpdfbookmarks  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi
rakunavi wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:10 pm The standard color of bookmark titles cannot be restored when the dark theme is applied.
viewtopic.php?p=158709
If I recall correctly, this is not an issue exclusive to dark mode, but one which is simply only visible in our dark theme, and will be seeing a fix in the future.
As for the issue with bookmark destinations, I have created a ticket on this matter:
RT#6137: Bug: Editor cannot always change Bookmark destination.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Re: Issue when creating a bookmark item with no Actions in jpdfbookmarks

Post by rakunavi »

Thank you, Daniel, for your follow-up comment and creating the ticket!
Just to be sure, I will quote the relevant section.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 pm The way that bookmark color works is a bit unique. In essence, when a bookmark is created, it has 2 separate color flags, one is along the line of "color enabled? [Y/N]" and the other is "Color value [###]". When created, Color is not enabled, and so the theme selected has full control over the color of that bookmarks color. As soon as you assign any value to a bookmark, including black, the "color enabled" option changes to yes, and then the color value kicks in, even if the color is set back to black, color is still enabled, and so instead of ignoring it and showing the opposite, we "fade" the color out to keep it as it is, and while ensuring that the text remains visible within the theme.
Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Issue when creating a bookmark item with no Actions in jpdfbookmarks

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com