"Fonts Used in This Document" and "Save as Optimized" / "Fonts"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

"Fonts Used in This Document" and "Save as Optimized" / "Fonts"

Post by Jensen Head »

There is a test document saved from Microsoft Word 2019 by means built into it. PDF-XChange Editor Plus 9.2 reports that this document uses 10 fonts:
_
Document Properties — Fonts.png
_
When using "Save as Optimized" I see that there are no embedded fonts in the document itself:
_
Optimize PDF — Fonts (Unembed Fonts) — Unembed all fonts.png
(The fonts listed above are currenty embedded in the document. To unembed a font, move it to the right pane. Fonts listed in the left pane will remain embedded.)
_
Is it true? How can I force font embedding using PDF-XChange Editor or PDF-Tools without saving the document as PDF/A?
Or, is the only way to do this is to save the document as PDF/A and then resave it as a regular PDF?

Also, please consider adding the size of each embedded font to the "Unembed Fonts" screen, so that at this stage you can estimate how much the file size will decrease after removing each font from the document. Alternatively, also specify the sum of the font sizes in the left panel ("Embedded fonts") and in the right panel ("Fonts to unembed") so that the user does not have to sum the sizes manually.

Related topic: "Strange behaviour of PDFXPrinter and not removing unused font (subset)" https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=35509
Attachments
test file for fonts.pdf
(31.32 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: "Fonts Used in This Document" and "Save as Optimized" / "Fonts"

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

There will be times when fonts simply cannot be unembedded, such as these ones, the "embedded subsets" within this docuemtn a "identity-H" fonts, which is a type wherein the mapping to the glyph is hidden within the embedding itself, not part of the base font like normal, and so unembedding will result in a series of unmapped glyphs being released into the wild, even if you have the correct font locally.

As for force embedding, that is still not possible within the Editor, saving to a special format is the only method that the Editor alone can offer for the time being. We are working on adding this in the future, but it is not something I can promise a short timeline for.

Finally, regarding Showing the size of each font in the "unembed fonts" screen, I spoke to the dev team and they like the idea, so a formal feature request ticket is being made. I will add it to this post once that is created.

RT#6106: FR: Show "font data size" in save as optimized - unembed fonts area

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Build 10.2.0.384
Released Jan 8th, 2024 . Requires maintenance through Jan 8th, 2024
Bugfixes and Improvements
Added font size information to the Save as Optimized dialog box.

Thank you!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

Once again - You are welcome! ;)

Kind regards,
Stefan