Export highlights

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

simple
User

Export highlights

Post by simple »

Hi there - I rely on PDF-Xchange extensively for making summaries of sometimes very long PDFs. Unfortunately the state of OCR (and the source files) is such that the underlying text can be way off, and a lot of proof-reading is required.

Previously, my assistant did this by comparing the PDF and the exported summary in Notepad or whatever. Now, however, I have a new admin setup with people with whom I cannot be so relaxed about sharing the entire (very sensitive) PDF.

This has got me wondering if there is any way of creating an 'abridged' PDF that contains only the highlighted elements - like the comment summary, really, but with the visible elements of the PDF rather than the text underlying. I guess a 'reverse' approach of deleting or concealing all non-highlighted text would achieve something functionally fairly similar.

I would be very glad of any suggestions / information!

Thanks,
J
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Export highlights

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, simple

I am afraid not, the only way I could see this happening is if you personally went through the file and manually redacted all the passages that are not highlighted. The problem here is that highlight comments are unrelated to the text the are applied to, or the images they are nearby. As a comment they are simply placed at specific coordinates, and then left there separate from all other content items. Exporting comments would not be able to extract related base content, and certainly not fragments of an image; beyond that, there is no way to automatically redact all content that is not highlighted...

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com